Chapter 5.2: And Shattered - Part 2

Cam Lo

Tertiary Defense Line

05:25 PM

Mike stared over the streets from their defensive positions inside a building, still panting from the mad dash by his squad did for the last few minutes.

Besides him are Serika and Shiroko, he doesn't really know why the fuck did Sarge make him a some sort of Liaison with the girls, but whatever. Orders were orders.

He looked to his right, Serika and Shiroko silently but tensely aimed their rifles at the streets. He wondered how their magic or whatever it's called would work in the urban environment.

As his pants halted, he found himself relaxed in the cold cement, not as bad as lying down on rubble he noted.

"How do you do it?" Serika asked while staring in the distance.

"Do what?"

"…Killing people."

"Just control the recoil." Mike joked, but she seemed unamused by it. "…what?"

She was frowning at him.

"…Well," he sighed. "You just don't think too much about it, I guess. Or at least that's how I do it."

"I doubt it's the same for everyone though, people deal with it differently, some succeed some don't. That's just how it is." He shrugged a bit.

"It is what it is."

Serika on the other hand simply looked at him a bit, noting his appearance a bit.

His helmet looked, strange, she noted, in fact, a lot of them had these decorations in their helmets.

Mike had a "Peace through War" graffiti on his helmet, an ace of spades, and six bullets strapped in it, alongside a peace button on its side.

"I…I guess we're a part of your team now huh?" she muttered quietly, that Mike barely even heard it over the sounds of combat.

"Everyone gets dragged to the Vietnam War. Even angels." Mike thought.

"Well, just keep yourselves useful I guess, have our backs and we'll have yours. How about that?"

Serika looked back at him, seemingly in thought. "As long as you guys help us, I-I guess I could agree with that."

"How about you Shiroko?"

She simply sighed. "Fine, but for the record personally I don't want this…"

"Neither do I," Mike then elbowed Alex, who was silently eating chips. "Hey, can I have some?"

"Fuck off man…nothing is free. If you want some you got to buy it."

"We are literally in a warzone you animal."

"Capitalism doesn't end in the warzone you hippie shit. And we are literally fighting for it as we speak, if you're fighting for it then you follow its principles." Alex then grinned at him as he ate.