Chapter 7: Even When Blood Spills

"It will cost what it will." - Adalbert Von Bredow

Dong Ha Defensive Line

April 12, 1972

"YOU SHOULDN'T GO THERE!" A young girl shouted to Mike in tears. Mike had already packed up, drafted to a war an ocean away, he has no choice but to go. Yet, the young girl disagrees.

"Look I'm sorry but I have no choice-"

"YOU DO HAVE A CHOICE! WHY CAN'T YOU JUST, JUST DODGE IT?"

"Look it's not that simple-"

"AND GOING TO WAR ISN'T? WHAT IF, WHAT IF, WHAT IF YOU DIE THERE? I-I saw it on the news, SO MANY PEOPLE DIED THERE!"

Mike stayed silent. He didn't have a response. He could die, her hypotheticals were not without merit. Yet, he had no other choice. He is drafted to it, plus, this is also his fight. The communists can't just steamroll the free world.

He had to go.

His little sister on the other hand just hugged him in tears. Unlike him, she is against the war. Much more, she is adamantly against the idea of seeing his brother sent to war.

"Please, please, brother I don't want you dead! Dad is already dead...mom is sick, and Grandpa is already old, please I beg you! Don't go...you're all I have..."

"I saw some of the boys go home in these boxes, I don't want the same to happen to you!"

"Don't go, don't go, please please..." She continuously cried. She was a sniffling mess, her golden blonde hair ragged, as he touched it. This might be the last time I get to do this, he thought. Poor girl.

"Alright look...just...I have to do this, I have no other choice, look I'd be in Nam' for just a year. I'll be back here in no time alright? Look I promise you, I'll do my best to go back here."

"That's unfair." She cried. "You never broke any promises you gave me...b-but I don't trust that one! War is different!"

"Hey c'mon now, you said it yourself, I never broke any promises. It's the same here!"

"No!" She hugged him tighter, all in a vain attempt to stop him from leaving.

"Look again, I promise you, I'll do my best not to die there. Please trust me...look when I go back maybe we'd go on a vacation, maybe drag mom with us. Like c'mon just have a little faith in me please." Mike said as he caressed her hair.

She just hugged him tighter, while giving him the no noise.

"Please...Elise please."

"This is so unfair!" She cried again.

I didn't know she was this clingy. Damn you, dad, this is your fault for dying early! Mike jokingly thought before he realized she was still crying while hugging him.

So Mike simply resigned to standing firm and staying quiet, while trying to calm her down in whatever way he can.

In moments, she gave up, finally giving Mike a chance to move and breathe.

"Looks like I can't convince you..." She muttered sadly at him.

Mike on the other hand simply gave her another headpat.

"Look, again, Elise..., I'm going to do my best to get back home in one piece. You can count on that. Please just have a little faith in me."

She then looked back at him and started to cry again.

"Promise me you'll keep that promise!" She demanded in tears.

Immediately by instinct, Mike's left hand raised.