Chapter 6.1: Still, The Line Must Hold - Part 1

"I died for my country, will you?" - Unknown

Route 9 - Near the Dong Ha Defensive Line

April 5, 1972

05:22 AM

Serika walked through a dark expanse. She didn't know where she is. But she was alone. There was no sound, no light, just her.

Time passed for so long, as she simply stood there, unmoving. Putting up a brave face, she turns her head and utters a word.

"Hello?"

She looked around again.

"Anybody there? Hello?"

Nothing responded, but as she turned back to her front, there stood a corpse.

Its eyes are gone, and it's staring at her.

It was the man she met first on that fateful day, there on that first brutal day in this world. The same man that stood before her.

Brandon.

"Why did you leave me?" The man asked.

"I-I needed...b-because...you were dying, I can't do anything!"

"You left me to die! Look at me, look at what you did to me!"

"Why did you have to live while I died?"

Serika bowed down in tears.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

Why her, why is she still alive? Why did she leave him, why did they leave him? Why did they leave so many dead?

Around her, more and more dead marines of the squads she fought for, surrounded her, all of them blaming her.

She simply dropped down in tears, as she closed her eyes, trying to block out the accusations thrown at her.

"I died for Uncle Sam," she hears that man again. "Will you?"

"Please make it stop! Please! Please! Please!"

BGM: For What it's Worth - Buffalo Springfield.

As the darkness fades, out of nowhere, she begins hearing a calm tune.

"Serika?" She suddenly hears Jordan's voice. "Are you alright?"

"Man she definitely doesn't look alright, she's hyperventilating and shit." Jimmy's voice butts in, as she slowly opens her eyes from her slumbering state.

Looking around, she is now inside of a moving truck, evident by the moving motion she feels, and the occasional rumble of the truck when it hits something.

"I'm still here." Her face darkened as tears threatened to spill. She is still here, in this...hell. Again.

She just remembered what happened yesterday, and while she fell asleep, it almost felt like she didn't really sleep.

She then feels a hand on her shoulders.

"Hey, it's alright now...you know you look like you have seen a ghost. Are you good out there?" Jordan asked the poor teen.

She simply nodded weakly. Jordan, on the other hand, wasn't convinced but decided to just ignore it, looking around, he sees his men are now fully awake, doing whatever business they do.