Ch.2-Solas-Fluff-Resident Grump

Solas has been distant since the death of the spirit of wisdom. His friend. He's still polite and interacts cordially with everyone, but the light normally in his eyes is dim. I know he's grieving, but I want to do what I can to make him feel better. "Try this one." I hand Dorian the tenth—no, the eleventh—cup filled to the brim with a special brew I've been working on. He sighs but knows better than to argue with me.

I commandeered the kitchens for my little project and Dorian had come in during my sixth try, so now he's my guinea pig. "Ah, yes! Wonderful! It tastes just like the last two. Bravo." Dorian's feedback is scathing, but his gaze is amused and sympathetic as I settle down on a stool with a huff.

"I don't understand what I'm missing." I set my elbows on the counter as my hands tear through my hair. My eyes bore into the light brown liquid in the cup below me as if it'll tell me the answers.

"They taste the same, yes, but the flavor is good. Granted, it's not Tevinter wine, but still. Why not give him one of these? They're perfectly acceptable."

My head starts shaking before he's finished. "No, they're not right. I know how it's supposed to taste and it's missing something." My teeth work my lower lip between them as I think. There was a drink my mother always made for my father when he had a bad day. There was chocolate in it, a bit of cream, cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, and...something else. I just can't recall that last ingredient. I only snuck a few sips here and there when they weren't looking, but it always made him feel better.

Dorian reaches over and takes one of my hands in his. "I understand that this is important to you, but I'm afraid a warm beverage isn't going to heal what's broken in our resident grump." Reluctantly, I look up at my friend's warm eyes where flames are reflected from the fire in the corner. "He needs time."

I deflate further and turn my hand to hold onto his. "I know. I just thought that it might cheer him up a little. I miss his smile." I miss him. I've wanted to give him space to work out his emotions and it felt like a terrible idea to ask him about the fade right now, so I've been keeping an eye on him from afar. This was supposed to be an olive branch of sorts. To get us talking about something small and unlikely to upset him.

"I think what would cheer him the most is seeing how much you care. Not many people would go to these lengths for someone else." He waves a flippant hand to the many cups covering the table in the middle of the room. A soft smile tugs on my lips. Perhaps he's right. "Now, don't misunderstand me. I'm not here for the sulking fashion disaster. I came down for a bottle of whiskey only to be unwillingly roped into—"

"Oh, fenedhis!" I curse, lighting up and pressing a quick kiss to Dorian's cheek. "That's it!" I release Dorian's hand and sprint over to a cabinet. The cook always keeps the best whiskey to herself tucked out of sight—there. I grab it and rush back over to pour a splash in Dorian's still warm cup. "Try it now." He has all my attention as he brings the cup up to his lips and pure satisfaction shoots through me as his brows pop up at the taste.

He hums softly as he puts the cup back on its saucer, ever the gentlemen. "Delicious. Feel free to make me this whenever I'm feeling the least bit poorly." Relief fills me to the brim. Victory at last. I pour a fresh cup with all the ingredients and push it to the side away from all the others before the door swings open. Dorian and I both freeze at the sight of the fashion disaster in question as he looks over the mess of the room before stalling on me. He raises one thin brow.

"Have fun then." Dorian ducks out the back way with his cup and the click of the door closing behind him echoes in the space.

Solas eases a bit further into the room while I struggle to find my words again. "I apologize if I interrupted. I heard a ruckus and came to investigate."

"Oh no, you weren't interrupting. Well, a little, but we were finishing up anyway. I...here." I move the stool I was sitting on closer to him and drag the freshly made cup in front of it. "I made this for you. Dorian was helping me get the recipe right and it took a few more tries than I was expecting." I gesture to the line of cups laid out like a regiment of soldiers. Surprise tugs Solas's eyebrows up and I'm encouraged by the show of emotion.

"You made all of these for me?" He asks as he steps close enough for our sides to brush.

I grimace. "Well, technically, yes. But this is the only one that's right." I pull it a little closer and he reaches out to let the pads of his fingers skim the saucer. He hums, then chuckles and it's the first semblance of a laugh that I've heard from him for weeks. He turns to me and lifts my chin with a light touch of his fingers.

"You are a wonder." He breathes and I swallow. We're terribly close.

"Will you try it?" I venture and my breath stalls in my throat as his eyes drop to my lips.

"I...yes, of course." His fingers leave me and I put a hand on the table to steady myself as he picks up the cup. I watch with rapt attention as he brings it to his lips and beam when his eyes shut. He empties half the cup before putting it back down with a soft sigh. "A delight." He turns back to me with a smile that seems to brighten my world. "But the true delight is seeing the effort you put into this for me. Thank you."

"Thank you." I return, relief and happiness loosening my tongue. "I've missed your smile." He blinks and my smile turns a bit sheepish, but I'm glad to see that his doesn't fade.

"Do I not smile whenever I see you?" He questions and I think on it a moment.

"I suppose you do—"

"Then perhaps my sparing smiles of late have been due to your absence."

I blink, the revelation nearly knocking me back onto my heels. "I...I wanted to give you space to work through your emotions. Your loss. I didn't want to be a nuisance."

"Ha!" The sharp sound nearly makes me jump as he shakes his head, eyes gleaming with amusement. "You are as much a nuisance to me as the sun in the sky with all her warmth and light."

"Oh." I breathe, feeling foolish and giddy at the same time. "I'll come around more often, then."

Laughter is still on Solas's tongue when he replies, "I look forward to it." He leans down to press a glancing kiss to my cheek, his breath sweet from the drink, before taking his cup and walking out. I'm sure there's an absolutely idiotic smile on my face as he leaves, but I can't bring myself to care at all.

Fenedhis-elvish curse (pretty sure it means wolf dick which is hilarious)

Word Count-1,245

*A/N*

Look, I just want Solas to be happy with his Lavellan in Skyhold without any of the other mess okay? Fight me about it. (But actually don't, I'm small and sensitive) ;)

Keep reading, lovelies!