Ch.6-Cullen&Companions-Fluff/angst-Lucky

*Cullen's POV*

We receive word that the Inquisitor is injured and returning to Skyhold an hour before she arrives. I'm waiting on the walls and as soon as I see a horse, I'm heading down the stairs to stand before the open gate. Armor glints in the sun and I know it's Cassandra before she rides in and slides off her horse without stopping. My breath stalls in my chest at the blood splattered over her face and smeared over her hands. Maker, preserve me.

"Where is she? What happened?" I ask instantly as she pushes me back towards the stairs.

"They're right behind me. She's wounded, badly, and Solas has done what he can but her chances are better here."

For once, her familiar, harsh accent does nothing to soothe me. Irritation flares in my chest as she keeps trying to herd me backward before I stand my ground with eyes affixed to the bridge for their arrival. "Why didn't you take her with you as you rode ahead? Why isn't she here, now?" My voice raises and I know I'll regret it later, but can't bring myself to care until I see her here and safe.

Cassandra's brows pinch, but determination shines bright in her eyes. "She doesn't want you to see her." My gaze snaps to hers and she frowns at whatever she sees in my eyes. "The wound is grievous, but she'll survive. She doesn't want you to see her this way. I gave her my word that I would keep you away—"

"You will do no such thing—"

"It's what she asked of me, Cullen. I will keep my word." Her voice is steel and panic begins to rise in my chest as I hear hoofbeats on the bridge. The need to see her wars with the knowledge that I'll have to fight my way through Cassandra to do it. She pushes me back again as the horses arrive and I barely see a glimpse of the Inquisitor in Solas's arms, red splashed across her face like paint, before Cassandra steps into my field of view.

I groan in frustration and my hand goes to the handle of my sword before I've realized what I've done. Cassandra is unfazed and rests her hand on her sword as well. "If that is what it takes to keep you here, so be it." My indecision costs me precious moments and when I look back over, she's already being carried inside and out of sight.

I curse and release my grip on my sword. "The healers will lock us all out of her rooms now." Adrenaline fades from my limbs now that she's well and truly out of my reach while restless worry takes its place.

Cassandra relaxes her stance as well with a nod. "As they should. They need space to work and have no need for your protective growling or endless questions."

"Leaving you with both." I counter, the threat bringing a small smile to her face.

"As expected. I will tell you everything while we wait for news." Her hand is firm on my shoulder and I reluctantly follow her up the stairs towards my office.

"Did she also make you promise to keep an eye on me while they worked?" The look she tosses me over her shoulder confirms my suspicion and I release a humorless chuckle.

"She knows you well. Although I believe her exact words were 'keep him from breaking down my door.'" Cassandra specifies as we duck inside my office and I offer her a mug of water to clean the blood off her hands and face. I can only stand to wait a handful of moments before I have to know.

"Tell me what happened. Everything."

Cassandra sighs, but nods once. She settles on a stool while I pace and generally try not to go mad with wanting to see her. The Seeker is clinical in her description and I'm grateful to have her lilting voice to focus on rather than the images she describes. Apparently, there was a group of templars, our templars, who went after some bandits and got trapped in a dead end with bears lurking in the area outside. They went in to get them out and were followed in by a particularly angry male. When it charged for the scouts, the Inquisitor stood her ground and put all she had into a freezing spell, but it wasn't enough. She took the brunt of the attack while the templars got out.