Ch.8-Cullen-Fluff-True Family P.2

I leave Dorian feeling warm and fuzzy, mostly from his company and a little bit from the wine. The walk up towards Cullen's office feels longer than usual. It could be because I'm taking the slowest steps known to man, but my pace picks up when I'm passing through Solas' rotunda and a messenger from the hall gives me a wink with a slow thumbs up. Andraste's tits, please let no one have done the same thing to Cullen. He's never going to forgive me for this.

Our relationship has basically been an open secret for a while now, but we had agreed not to say anything. Then I go screaming about it in the middle of the yard. Maker help me.

I'm jogging now and my knock on his door isn't light. He sighs from within. "What?" I take a breath before easing the door open and even if I'm not sure how he feels at the moment, the sight of him working diligently over his desk brings a soft smile to my face. "If you're here to make a comment on the Inquisitor and I's relationship, I'd suggest you reconsider." His voice deepens in the way that usually sends tingles trickling through my body, but this time all I feel is guilt.

"That bad, huh?" I venture and give him a sheepish smile when his head lifts.

His shoulders loosen at the sight of me as he straightens up, letting the paper in his hands fall onto his desk. "I've received multiple congratulations, numerous dirty looks, and one indecent proposal from a recruit who is now shoveling manure in the stables. It's ridiculous." He crosses his arms over his chest while I shut the door behind me and walk over to set the wine bottle on his desk.

"I'm so sorry." I put all my emotions into the words. "I hadn't intended for it to come out like that. I hadn't intended to say anything at all, but they were saying all these things and I got so worked up and you were up there looking after me and you were so sweet and I just...I just lost it." My hand lifts to rub over tired eyes. "I didn't mean to make things difficult for you." I let my hand fall as I look back over at him and clasp my hands together as he slowly rounds the desk, then stops beside me.

"After all I've put you through, did you truly think that I would be upset by something as slight as this?" He asks softly and lifts a hand to smooth over my cheek.

"You're not upset?" I whisper and he gifts me a tender smile as I lay my hand over his, keeping it pressed against my face.

"Of course not. I'm annoyed that others think they can comment on something that isn't their business, but that's hardly new. I only ever wanted to keep things quiet to make things less difficult for you."

"Less difficult for me?" I repeat and shake my head. "Oh, Cullen, I would have shouted it from the courtyard months ago if I knew that was the reason! I'm friends with Dorian and Sera. If I can take their teasing and poking around my business, then I can handle anyone else. I was keeping it quiet for you!" We both laugh and it's a relief to hear after everything today.

"Seems we've both been foolish." He remarks and all my worries seem to fade away as he leans forward to press his forehead to mine. "Although, what you said wasn't entirely accurate." He continues and pulls away while I raise a brow. His small smile takes on a mischievous glint and his voice drops to the tone I love. "I believe I straddle you far more than you straddle me."

A breathless laugh leaves me as I lean back against the desk, his body in front of me. "Would you like me to make an amendment? I'll shout it from the ramparts if you like."

His grin widens. "I think we've given Skyhold enough gossip for today. I'd rather keep you here to myself." His hands trail down my body to settle on my hips while mine rest in the thick fur over his shoulders.

"You'll receive no objection from me," I murmur and press my lips to his to finally taste that familiar smile. The kiss is soft, caring, a reassurance after a rough day. When we part, I keep my eyes shut to just breathe him in and soak in his closeness while he's near.