Chapter 8: Aurelia

Not long after Thisbie left, Jacinth returned and quickly got to work on Aurelia's hair. It took her quite a few tries, but in the end, Jacinth succeeded in pulling all of Aurelia's hair back into a neat and intricate braid.

When she was finished, Aurelia stood up and inspected herself in the mirror. She was honestly impressed with how she looked. Somehow, she even appeared more Fey. It was amazing what good clothes, hair, and makeup could do.

Satisfied with her look, Aurelia let Jacinth pull her away from the mirror and towards the door. "I'm supposed to take you to Kassius so that he may escort you to dinner."

Aurelia nodded and followed along, letting Jacinth lead her down a long hallway and around several corners. The floors were lined with a red carpet, and the walls were decked out with paintings and portraits, wreaths of flowers, and candle sconces. Aurelia had a hard time keeping up with Jacinth, too entranced by everything around her.

Eventually, they found their way to a large room of marble. In the center of the room was a grand staircase, similar to the one that Magni had in Rheolaeth. And at the top of the staircase stood Kassius, looking handsome—as usual. His ruby red hair was slicked back, and he wore a black and violet suit which complemented his pale skin and eye color.

Kassius began his descent down the stairs, coming to meet Aurelia. As he drew nearer, Jacinth curtsied, excusing herself, and scurried away. Aurelia gave a small wave to the skittish servant as she ran off.

"She's a good helper, don't you think?" Kassius mused as he reached the bottom of the staircase. "Always on the go, always smiling. It's admirable."

Aurelia nodded in agreement. "She's certainly very helpful. How long has she worked here as a servant?"

"Not as a servant," Kassius corrected. "She was orphaned during the war, and came to stay in the palace. And she offered to work for us because she wanted to show her gratitude for us sheltering her." He paused, turning his gaze back to Aurelia. "We don't have servants here. Our guests work only if they want to. They do so of their own free will."

"Interesting," Aurelia murmured. She thought back to her time in Rheolaeth. All of the servants there had been Fey, imprisoned against their will. And in Keddeirin, the servants there had been a combination of Fey and poor, indebted humans.

How different the Underground was. But perhaps for the better.

"Come, let's go," Kassius announced abruptly. He put an arm out, and Aurelia accepted, linking arms with him and letting him lead her to wherever it was they were going to have dinner.

They walked in silence for a few moments, and Aurelia allowed herself to get swept up in her surroundings once again. They passed through what she assumed to be a ballroom, and awed at their grand chandelier, and as they crossed through another back hallway, she couldn't help but study every portrait they encountered.

So wrapped up in everything, she almost forgot that Kassius was there with her. But then he cleared his throat and spoke up, and he brought her back to reality.

"I was wondering," he began, "what made you change your mind about coming here?"

Aurelia sucked in a breath at the question. She had expected someone to ask her about it at some point, and yet she had hoped that everyone would prove her wrong and not ask after all. So much for hoping.

She managed a light shrug in response, conjuring up every ounce of calm in her body. "It just made sense, I suppose."

Kassius arched a brow, and he narrowed his violet eyes in confusion. "What does that mean exactly?"