Chapter 15: Aurelia

"I can't believe you're making me go all the way to Rheolaeth. Again," Leviathan groaned as he finished stuffing a bag full of food.

"Again?" Aurelia was packing a bag as well—of woolen blankets. After much discussion with Kassius, she learned that the journey would be made entirely on foot, and that they would likely be tired and have to stop to camp out at some point.

"Yes, again," Leviathan grumbled. "I went with him the first time. To find you. And it wasn't a fun trip, believe me. It was a lot of walking followed by a lot of rowing."

Across from him, Kassius smirked. "You traveled worse trails during the war," he remarked. "Besides, look at you." He gestured to Leviathan, in all his muscular glory. "Now, look at me. If I can walk there with no trouble, so can you."

Aurelia couldn't help the small laugh that she let out. The physical contrast between the two men was rather drastic. And remarkable.

Leviathan rolled his eyes. "Yes, I suppose that there's a reason that I'm Captain of the Guard." He popped a cube of cheese into his mouth before tying the bag closed and slinging it over his shoulder.

"You said that you wanted involved in this process, did you not?" Kassius asked as he bent down to finish tying his shoes. He had traded out his usual fashionable loafers for a pair of sturdy brown boots.

"Yes, I did. But I didn't think that meant traveling all the way back there. At least not now," Leviathan replied. He seemed fed up with everything already, though Aurelia couldn't entirely blame him. She wasn't looking forward to their journey very much either. Rheolaeth was far away. "I'm surprised you didn't invite Thisbie along. Though I suppose you haven't told her of your progress yet, have you? And you certainly haven't told your father."

Just as Leviathan finished speaking, the door behind them opened. And who should walk in but Thisbie herself, Galderon trailing behind her. Her black hair was loose as it normally was, though she wasn't dressed as elegantly, rather comfortably, in a flowing purple gown. Galderon, in the meantime, was as silver-haired as ever, yet his face—his expression—seemed youthful.

"Off already?" she wondered, looking her brother and his companions over. There was a teasing tone to her voice, one which her father copied.

"You didn't think we'd let you go without saying goodbye," he remarked, a chiding smirk coating his face.

Kassius glanced up at his sister and father. "No, I was expecting this exact send off," he mused. "And yes, we are headed out. We're going to go look for that book Aurelia had a vision about." He turned as he continued to speak, staring smugly at Leviathan, hoping to prove his point. "You know? The one I told you both about yesterday evening after supper?"

"Ah yes, the records," Thisbie smiled. "You spoke so excitedly of them. It's been quite some time since I've seen you looking so hopeful." Thisbie redirected herself to Aurelia. "Thank you for helping him," she beamed. Galderon repeated the same sentiment.

"It's no trouble, really," Aurelia replied back. Kassius had already thanked her plenty over the last few days. It was beginning to grow overwhelming by now, all of the praise. The humbleness that Zachariah had beaten into her was practically retching because of it. "I'm just glad that him finding me was for something."

Kassius swiveled his attention to Aurelia the instant those words left her mouth. "Even if you weren't able to help me like you are, finding you wouldn't have been for nothing."