7. "Home" sweet "home"

• THALIA •

"Hey, you okay?" Nadine asks softly, laying beside me in my single bed

I nod, "yeah."

We lay there in silence, Nadine probably wondering why I was so upset and me replaying yesterdays events over and over in my head.

"They're coming to pick me up today." I tell her, my voice sounding dead.

Nadine turns to look at me, "is there anything you can do to stop it?"

I shake my head, "no."

She sighs, defeat evident in her eyes. "Really, not anything?"

"There's nothing."

"What if someone else fostered you?"

I shake my head, "no way. I don't want to be adopted, period. There's nothing I can do about it, it's out of my control."

"Well... what if-"

I cut her off, "no, Nadine. It's fine, it's cool, I'm okay."

She goes to argue but I get up from off my bed, waking over to my wardrobe.

I put on some light-wash, denim jeans and a red GAP hoodie. (The things we brought when shopping). I leave my dark hair down, it still being straightened from when me and Nadine went shopping.

Nadine's still laying on my bed, looking in or there's about the dirtiness of the sheets and the whole goddam room. "I could adopt you."

I drop my phone, "What?!"

She shrugs, as if it's no big deal, when in reality, it's a very big deal. "Yeah, I'm 21."

I laugh at how absurd her words are, "no way, Nadine. No. Fucking. Way. You're about to get married."

Her eyes soften, "I know, I know. But I care about you, I don't want to see you upset knowing I could've done something."

I walk over to her, sitting on the end of the bed. "Nadine." I look into her eyes, "I appreciate the thought, I really, really do. But no. Focus on your big day. It's in two days!"

She sighs in defeat, "okay. But you want an out, call me. I'll come get you, I promise."

I smile, "yeah." We hug, clinging onto each other.

Nadine leaves to go cake tasting, hesitantly, but after have to force her out the front door with force, she leaves.

God, I'm so lucky to have someone like her in my life. The things she's willing to do for me. I coudk asks her to kill a man, and I'm pretty sure she would. Vice versa.

__________________________________

• THREE HOURS LATER •

I've got my backpack propped up against a wall. I'm trying to stuff my clothes into it. I'm failing. Miserably.