34. Names

• BENNU •

•Bahamas •

•Bahamas •

"Do you reckon black or white?" Nadine asks me, holding up two dresses on hangers.

"I don't know, you'd look beautiful in both, baby."

I'm not oblivious to her smile but she tries to act all mad and bothered. "Bennu, this is serious! Which one?!"

I go to repeat myself for the thousandth time but my phone rings. I ignore it but Nadine immediately tells me to pick up and that she doesn't mind.

I see that it's my Dad calling which surprise me. He wouldn't really call me on my honeymoon unless it was important.

I accept the call and hold the phone up to my ear. "Hey, Dad. What's up?"

"Morning, Son." He greets since England is 4 hours behind the Maldives. "How's the honeymoon?"

"It's fucking amazing, Dad. We're having a great time."

"Glad to hear, Ben."

"Let's not beat around the bush, why'd you call?" I say into the phone whilst appreciating my beautiful wife perched on the end of the bed. She smiles at me. God, I love her smile.

"Don't freak out." My Dad says bluntly.

"Dad, 3/4 of our family are a bunch of hotheads, including you, so I can't promise anything."

"Fair enough, you're right."

"Jesus, Dad. The suspense is killing me. What is it?"

"I have decided to adopt Thalia." He states plainly into the phone. Acting all calm but I know he's anything but.

I am lost for words. My Dad has never been a impulsive man, so him adopting a 16 year old is not what I was expecting to hear. I could act all bothered about this sudden news but to be honest, I'm really not. Plus if my Wife's best friend is my new sister it might earn me some brownie points.

"Ben?"

"I'm here, Dad. I'm happy. Surprised? Yeah. But I feel like you need this. Fuck knows why, but I think you do. And so does Gio, honestly. He's been telling me about her. Seems like they're real good friends. I'm happy for him. Can't remember the last time he spoke more than 5 words to me."

My Dad sighs into the phone. "You're right. He's always been a quiet kid. This will be good for him."

"Yeah, I'm feeling good about this, Dad. However, husband duty calls. Gotta go."

"Bye, Ben. Have a good night." I can hear my Dads smile through the phone.

The call ends and I turn to look at my dazzling wide. "That sounded important, he okay?" Nadine asks.