26. Salute

• THALIA •

oops. I really shouldn't have acted on impulse and just left Wills apartment. Because now I have no shoes and I'm in a dressing gown.

But I can't go back in there. The humiliation would be too much.

What do I do? Oh my god, what do I do?

I don't have my phone. And I don't have any money. Fuck sake.

I start to hear a door open to I sprint down the hallway towards the lift. Stepping into the lift, I tap the 0 button several times. Go go go go go go, c'mon.

The lift door shuts and I breath a sigh of relief, putting a hand to my chest. But the relief doesn't last for long when reality really hits me.

I have really fucked myself over.

The lift comes to a half and the metal doors open slowly. There's a man stood outside, with a riled up new paper in one hand and a walking stick in the other. He looks at me with a look of concern and suprise. "Are you okay, ma'am?"

"Yes, yes I'm fine Thankyou. Just... uh-"

"It's fine, you don't need to tell me. Just as long as your okay." He smiles then steps into the lift as  I step out. I turn around to thank him and say goodbye but the lift doors have already shut.

There should be more of him in this world.

I carry on walking through the - what looks like a - foyer of the apartment complex, receiving some weird stares and glances. I'd like to act like I can take all of the curious looks on the chin and strut through the hallway but I really can't. I hate the slightest bit of attention on me. Hate it. I'd rather be invisible.

I keep my gaze fixated on the floor, or more like my bare feet. Jesus Christ, this is my worst nightmare: having my crusty ass toenails on display.

All of a sudden I bump into someone and stumble backwards. They catch me and make sure I'm steady. "Um, sorry!" I say awkwardly, still looking at anywhere but then.

"Thalia?"

I look up at that. It's... its... oh my god, it's one of Bennu's brothers. "Oh my god, um- hello! Bens brother right - sorry sorry I kind of forgot your name - there were so many - a lot to remember, please don't - just please don't get offended."

He shakes his head slightly, "Jesus, sorry. Am I making you uncomfortable?"

"What?! No!"

He laughs lightly, "okay. Just because you are falling over all your words. And all that you just said to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense."

I mentally shoot myself. Fuck. me.

"Oh, um, yeah, right. Sorry."

"Stop apologising." He says in a tone that screams Im your dad.