Accusations

You and Daryl had been at the camp with the saviors working on the bridge for a while after the war, and recently there had been some unexpected deaths of saviors. An argument between the saviors and your and Daryl's people caught him in the crossfire, placing the target for blame right on his back. After he'd been blamed he stomped off into the woods in a huff, presumably to take out some anger. You let him be for a couple hours before it got dark, then you decided to look for him.

You padded off into the woods in the general direction Daryl left in, and searched for a while before you found him. You had followed the creek until you saw him, sat on a stump sharpening his knife. He hadn't noticed you quite yet since he couldn't hear your footsteps over the sound of rushing water, and you took the opportunity to take him in. His brows were furrowed angrily, his hands working frivolously at his seemingly already sharp knife. His mind was far away, probably thinking about the incident.

You sighed, coming out from the cover of the trees. Your footsteps alerted Daryl immediately and his head swung to meet the sound tensely, before relaxing at the sight of you. Daryl turned his eyes back down, not saying a word to you. You leaned up against a tree, crossing your arms like a disappointed parent. "Daryl." You spoke his name into the silence.
"Go ahead. Ask me." He huffed, pressing his knife further into the rock in his hand.
You approach him, and set your hand over his in an attempt to put a stop to his antsy movements . "Stop." You commanded him, pulling his hand to your lips.

His eyes softened momentarily before he pulled his hand away from you gently. "I don't think you killed him." You spoke reassuringly, but his brows only drew together angrily again.
"The way you looked at me when they accused me said otherwise." He lamented, eyes shifting away from you.

You moved to stand between his legs, and your hands traced up his neck to his jaw, holding it on either side. You lifted his face to meet yours, and it twinged your heart to see tears pooling in his eyes. You traced soft circles into his cheek with your thumb before speaking. "Daryl, I would never believe their accusations, and I would never believe you would kill an innocent man who wasn't putting you or anyone else in danger. I don't know how I looked at you, but all I remember is being terrified that you were going to get hurt in an uprising of saviors. I never want to see any harm come to you. Ever."

Tears came spilling down Daryl's cheeks as he dropped the knife and stone to wrap his arms around you, pulling you to him tightly. "I love you." He mumbles against your stomach.
"I love you more." You giggle, running your fingers through his dirty hair.