Swimming

You rush out of the woods and to the shore of a lake with Daryl in tow. Your face lights up with joy at the beauty of the large body of water, turning back to flash Daryl a toothy smile. "We should go swimming!" You suggest, unable to keep your body still with the amount of excitement flowing through your veins.
       "Nah, we shouldn't." He returns gruffly, face stoic as ever.
      "Fun hater." You sigh, "There aren't even any walkers around."
      "Not that we can see." Daryl points out.

      You sigh softly, "Whateverrr... watch for walkers for me?" Your face lights up again as you drop the backpack off your shoulders and on the the rocks.

      "Don't be an idiot." He says sternly, and you roll your eyes in return.

       Your fingers find the hem of your shirt, and you pull it over your head, revealing your bra to him. His eyes immediately flick away from your form, his ears burning. You grin at the sight.

     "What the hell'r you doing?" He huffs.
     "I already told you, I'm going swimming." You say while pulling your boots off.
      "In yer undies?!" He pesters you, eyes shifting to look at you for a second before looking away again.
       "Well, yeah. Im not getting my clothes wet, I'll freeze my ass off." You respond, stepping out of your pants.

      Daryl crosses his arms over his chest, still not looking at you. You stand there in only your underwear for a second, waiting for him to say something. When nothing comes, you turn around and trot out into the water.

     Daryl watches you closely as you disappear into the water, his brows laced with concern. "Don't go too far out, I'm not draggin' you back in!" He shouts out at you.

     You turn around to face him with a big smile on your lips. "I'd be a lot safer if you were out here with me!" You shout back from the water.

      Daryl frowns at you, but you only grin. You move further into the water until your feet can't touch the ground, treading water with a little difficulty. "Look Daryl! I'm not touching, I can swim just fine!"

     He watches you closely, cross bow clasped tightly in his hands. He wasn't appreciative of your teasing when he could feel anxious knots tie in his chest. He sucks in a deep breath through his nose, telling himself that he could trust you, but something in his gut told him otherwise.

      You splashed around in the water joyfully, not paying much attention to the current in the lake picking up. Not noticing the waves pulling and pushing you harder and harder. Daryl tried not to pay attention to it.

     Suddenly, a wave too powerful ran you down, dragging you underneath the water. You rolled around under the water, unsure of which direction was up. Your lungs burned as your legs and arms beat uselessly at the water to try and pull your head above the surface.

     Daryl shoots up off of the rock he was seated on, and he shouts your name out into the waves. "FUCK." He shouts, dropping his crossbow onto the rocks and rushing into the water.
     As soon as he got deep enough, Daryl dove into the water and reached out for you. His heart beat wildly in his chest as he searched for you.

      Relief washes over him as he grabs a hold of one of your arms, dragging you up over the water. He wraps an arm around your torso and drags you out of the water and towards the shore. He collapses with you in his lap once he reaches dry land, and you cough up at least a gallon of water all over him as he holds you tightly against him.

      After your coughing has calmed to ragged breathing, Daryl grabs a hold of your head by the back where your neck meets your skull, and tips your face to look at him.

      "Yer such an idiot! What were you thinking?" He shouts angrily at you, and you only watch his face as you pant raggedly. "Well? What do you have to say for yourself? You scared the shit out of me! Made me drag your ass out of the water!" He shouts again, fear more than anything showing in his eyes as he stares into yours.

       Your hand feebly falls against his cheek, and you smile gently before leaning forward and pressing a soft kiss to his lips.

      Daryl's body softens immediately, from being tense and firm to melting into your gentle touch. His hold on the back of your head becomes gentle, using it to draw your lips back to his for a second time when you pull away.

      You're both blushing when you part, searching each other's eyes for answers to a million questions that had gone unanswered for far too long.

     "Yer still not any less stupid. Y'know that right?" Daryl huffs through his blush.
      "No, this was my plan the whole time... I'm actually very intelligent." You joked, beaming at him.
      "Mmmmhm" he responded with disbelief before dragging your lips back to his.