In the Trunk part 2

You'd been searching for Daryl for hours while lugging around his heavy crossbow. Your feet ached with every step, your shoes long since ruined. Your stomach growled angrily, but you refused to answer it. You couldn't lose another friend, after all that had happened. Everyone both of you had known previously, Daryl had presumed to be dead, but you tried your best to believe they were alive. Even if they are, there's no telling if you'll ever see them again. You can't lose another person. You'd stay with him attached at his hip, no matter how embarrassing it would be for the both of you, if it meant you'd never have to walk alone again.

     As you walked, your eyes spotted a pair of booted feet and dark jeans peaking out from behind a blood smeared tree. Your stomach dropped, feet crunching on fall leaves as you rushed to Daryl's body.

Tears pricked in your eyes as they met the body, skull bashed in and mangled. You dropped to your knees, discarding his crossbow next to you, your fingers gripping his dark jeans. "I'm sorry Daryl..." you cried out, cradling one of his cold hands in yours.

      Your cries ripped through the trees so loudly you couldn't hear the footsteps approaching behind you. A hand landed on your shoulder gently, making you jump out of your skin. You whipped around, and your eyes met Daryl's Georgia Blues. You shot off the ground instantly, wrapping your arms around his neck in relief. "Daryl!! I thought you were..."
      "That guy?" He rasped almost humorously.
     You nodded, tears soaking the shoulder of his flannel. "I'm okay." He rasped, hands awkwardly held at his sides.

     Daryl's hands grasp your shoulders gently, pulling you off of him awkwardly. "We should get goin'." He says, hands releasing your shoulders.
      He shifts past you and squats down to grab his crossbow, then continues walking through the forest. You follow, wiping your tears as your heart aches from his tense reaction.

~~~~~

     The two of you had walked together silently for a few hours before you found a car. Daryl hot wired it, getting it to turn on quickly.

     You sat in the passengers seat while he drove, glancing out the window at the woods flying past you. The air between you and Daryl was thick with unspoken words, and you'd just about had enough of it. "What's wrong?" You ask.
     "Nothin'."
     "Don't do that Daryl. I know there's something wrong. What is it?"
     "I think you fuckin' know what it is." He snaps
     "That doesn't even matter. It's fine."
     "No it isn't, I woke up with my goddamn head between your thighs!"
     Just him saying it made you press your thighs together, trying to quench the heat between them. "It was an accident, it's not that big of a deal."

     Daryl stops the car suddenly, shifting it into park and turning it off to preserve gas. "It's not okay because you didn't say it was okay before I did it. I shouldn't be havin' dreams like that about you anyway!" He shouts, his knuckles white as he clenches the steering wheel.

     "You were dreaming about me?" You ask, almost teasing.
     Color rushes to his cheeks, and he brings his hands up to his face to cover it in embarrassment. "It was a wet dream, wasn't it?" You ask, cheeks nearly as red as his now.
     He nods very slowly, and you can tell just how mortified he is at telling you so much. You let out a hearty laugh, making him jump. He watches you through parted fingers as you laugh, head tipped back against the headrest. "You're fuckin' makin' fun of me." He grumbles in annoyance, opening the door to get out.

      Daryl gets less than a foot out when you grab him by the vest and yank him back into the car, stretching across him to pull the door shut. "So does that mean you're into me?" You ask, still leaned over him with your hand on the door handle to keep him in the car.
      You swear you can hear his heart beating a mile a minute as close as you are to him, and the flustered look on his face has already answered your question, but you want to hear him say it.