Chapter Nine - Interlude

"His memory was of you," Magnus told Ragnor over a glass of scotch in his study. The Shadowhunters had elected to return to the institute after making Magnus promise to call when Clary woke up. "Valak required a memory of the one we love the most. Alexander's memory was of you."

Ragnor smiled sadly.

"He's old enough now, my dear cabbage. Just tell him." Magnus said quietly. "Why won't you tell him?"

Ragnor swirled his scotch in his cup and stared down at the moving liquid. "I'm fearful of hurting him," Ragnor explained. "When I tell him, it's going to hurt. He's going to find out he's been lied to his entire life, Magnus. His species, the man he believes to be his father, his last name, none of it is real. He's a warlock whose mark is glamoured. He doesn't even know the real color of his eyes, Magnus. These simple things about himself, they aren't what he believes to be true."

"Ragnor," Magnus whispered. "Raphael was right. He's my soulmate."

Ragnor looked up at him, eyes wide and resigned. He sat back with a sigh.

"I should have known." He said sounding exhausted.

Magnus was sympathetic to Ragnor's plight. Alexander's world would come crashing down on him when Ragnor told him the truth. And then to be told that you have a soulmate, and you're a reincarnated soul that dates back to the 1600s? With a son and a kinda-sorta stepdaughter? He would be in over his head.

"I won't tell him anything yet," Magnus promised. "But you should tell him the truth, my dear friend. Soon."