Chapter Ten

Turns out, Jocelyn never told Clary where the Mortal Cup was. All she got back were some memories of her mother and Luke talking about Magnus and Raphael, a few mentions of Shadowhunters, Valentine, and the Circle, a few stray demon attacks, and a memory of a box that Jocelyn kept hidden in the floorboards of Clary's bedroom.

Alec, at the very least, was stressed. The Inquisitor was disappointed that there was nothing more to be reported and that they still had no ideas about the whereabouts of the Mortal Cup. Reports of attacks on Downworlders by Circle Members were becoming more and more frequent. The Clave was at a loss about what to do.

And now, the Seelies have cut contact, making everything that much worse. And then, just when Alec thought that things couldn't go more downhill from there, his mother walked into the office.

He stood up, hands clasped behind his back. "Mother, welcome back I wasn't expecting you."

Maryse smiled tightly. "You should be prepared whether you expect me or not," she came in for a hug.

"I am," Alec assured her. "Inquisitor Herondale just informed me of the situation with the Seelies. I was just about to send Isabelle to make contact with her friends and feel out the situation."

"And what's to say that she didn't trod on one of their ridiculous customs and offend him . . . them." Maryse sneered. "We keep separate from the Downworld for good reason, Alec."

"You can't blame Izzy for this, for all we know they may be upset about having to send the scouts to look for Valentine." Alec pointed out. "Isabelle knows how to talk to Seelies. She can visit with Meliorn and see what he knows. We can send Jace with her."

Maryse nodded reluctantly. "Why don't you keep an eye on the Fairchild girl, then? She's behaved well enough thus far, but she's inexperienced and unpredictable."

Alec would agree had they been talking about the Clary Fairchild that had been roaming around before her memories were returned, but the Clary that had emerged afterward was a bit more flamboyant, but she had discipline and was considerate of others.

"I'll keep an eye on her," He nodded.

"Good," Maryse seemed satisfied. "Have you spoken to Ragnor recently?"

Alec raised an eyebrow at the nervousness that seemed to accompany the question. "I saw him yesterday. He just wanted to know how I was doing."

Maryse nodded, looking relieved. "Good, good," she turned to leave but Alec took a step forward.

"Mom?" Maryse turned to look at him. "Why does Ragnor even come around? Why does he only look after me?"

"Oh," Maryse blinked. "There were complications with my labor, we had to call in Ragnor to help. He delivered you, took a special interest. He's just been your personal healer ever since. Why?"

Alec shook his head. "No reason." Maryse left and Alec pulled his phone out.

Alec Lightwood 9:27 A.M. – You first met me the day I was born, right?

Ragnor Fell 9:30 A.M. – No, I saw you briefly the day after. Why?

Alec Lightwood 9:30 A.M. – No reason.

***

"I'm supposed to be keeping an eye on you," Alec told Clary as she sketched on her bed.

She looked up at him with a raised eyebrow. "And? You haven't been keeping an eye on me while you've been standing there in the doorway for the last five minutes?"

Alec rolled his eyes. "I thought that I could keep an eye on you at your old apartment while we look for that box you were talking about."

Clary set her sketchbook aside and grinned. "I think that's a grand idea!"