Chapter Eleven

Ragnor's portal took them to Magnus Bane's living room. Raphael Santiago was lounging in an armchair, reading a book when they came through, Luke leaning heavily on them. Alec watched as the Vampire's eyes went wide and he stood up, setting his book aside.

"Papa!" he shouted.

Magnus immediately swept into the living room, coming out of the hallway.

"What happened?" Magnus asked as he approached them.

"He was attacked!" The mundane said as he entered behind them. Jace, Clary, and Izzy followed after.

"Get him on the couch," Magnus instructed, laying a white sheet on it.

Alec and Ragnor deposited him onto the couch as Clary watched with wide eyes. Alec saw Raphael swoop in and wrap his arms around her, pulling her off to the side and murmuring to her.

Magnus poured his magic into Luke, but the man was sputtering nonsense.

"Jocelyn!" he began yelling.

Alec stepped off to the side with Ragnor and watched as Clary broke away from her brother and knelt beside the werewolf. Luke reached out and touched her face. Magnus tensed as he watched the man interact with his daughter.

"Jocelyn." Luke looked at the girl.

"Is he hallucinating?" Alec murmured to Ragnor.

Ragnor nodded. "It's incredibly likely."

"No, Luke, it's Clary," Clary told him gently. "Can you hear me?"

Luke grabbed her jacket roughly, voice urgent. Alec tensed and watched as everyone else did as well. "Clary! You have to listen to me! Listen . . . you have to listen to me. I have to tell you. Just in case."

Magnus grabbed Luke's shoulder. "Let her go." He told him firmly. "Lucian, you're hurting her."

Luke didn't relinquish his grip. "No, listen to me. You need to know! Listen to me."

"Let her go," Mangus demanded, flicking his wrist. Luke's fist unclenched and he released Clary, a flare of blue magic around his fingers. Magnus turned to his daughter. "Was he bitten by an alpha?" he asked frantically.

"Yeah, why?" the mundane answered instead.

Luke's eyes glowed green and he arched up off the couch growling.

"Biscuit get away from him," Magnus ordered. "Hijo,"

Raphael hurried to Clary's side and pulled her away. Alec watched as Magnus hurried to another room. He met Izzy's eyes from across the room and then turned to Ragnor.

"Izzy and I have to go, we need to head back to the Institute to report to our mother." He glanced over at Luke and then at Magnus who had paid him no mind other than a few brief glances that felt oddly loaded. "I'll let her know to wire your and Magnus' payments."

Ragnor shook his head. "Go ahead and have Magnus's sent, but I don't need payment."

Alec frowned. "You healed me and then helped us with the wolves, and then helped us get Luke medical attention. You should get paid for your services."

"Dear one, I never take payment for anything I do for you, and as for the wolves, I simply stood there like the rest of you. Luke did all the hard work. Getting him medical attention – what kind of person would I be had I not assisted him in his time of need?"

Alec's brain could only focus on Ragnor's first point. "I don't understand."

"What don't you understand?" Ragnor put a hand on his shoulder.