"I'll kill you!"

I told Alex about what Raul whispered to me and he invited himself to escort me there.

I dressed again in my t-shirt and pants, then covered myself in a long black cloak I found in a chest.

"Why so stealthy?" Alex asked when he saw me.

"I'm sure a princess like myself isn't allowed outside the castle unaccompanied and after dark. It's in like every book." I explained.

He rolled his eyes. "Well, lets get a move on you Royal Pain. Midnight is approaching and we have no idea where this church is."

I scoffed. "I know where it is. I asked Gia this afternoon. It's not very far from here either. I could see the steeple from her bedroom window."

Alex gave me a curious look. "You know? You're smarter than I thought."

I punched him in the arm and left him wincing as I left my room.

We snuck quickly and quietly down the corridor and into the kitchen.

Alex eased the back door open and we slid out into the night.

The moon was bright and high in the sky. Alex took my hand in his as we walked. I didn't object but I didn't totally agree.

After a few moments of silence, he spoke. "Why don't you like me?" he asked.

I was taken aback by the question. "I do like you Alex." I responded confused.

"You know what I mean." Alex said.

"I don't know. I...you're like a brother to me. I've known you forever." I tried to explain.

"Can't we at least try?" he pleaded desperately.

I stopped walking. "Alex. You have to understand-"

I didn't get to finish my sentence. Alex's lips were on mine and he was kissing me with a harsh yearning.

I found myself comparing his kiss to Ezekiel's. Where Ezekiel was caring and gentle, Alex was urgent and biting.

Not literally.

When he noticed I wasn't responding he pulled back with a disappointed look on his face.

His expression broke my heart. "I'm really-"

"Don't say it." He interrupted. "Just don't say it." He slouched in defeat and stared off to the side looking totally dejected.

I sighed and trailed after him.

I hoped it wasn't too soon but I needed to get his mind off of me.

"You remember Gia?" I said.

He grunted in response and I took it as a yes. "Well, I don't know what it is, but every time I mention you she goes all pink in the face and forgets how to speak. Why do you think that is?" I inquired.

"She's allergic to me?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes and playfully shoved him. "No. She likes you." I clarified. "I guess she's into dorks." I teased.

"Then she must be absolutely in love with you." Alex joked.

I pushed him harder this time causing him to stumble. "Hey!" He exclaimed.

"Shhh!" I hissed, pulling onto his arm. "We're almost there."

The church building grew in size as we got nearer and nearer to it.

We silently pushed open the tall doors and were enclosed in darkness except for a few dying candles.

"What do you think I'm supposed to do here?" I asked Alex.

"Pray?" He suggested.

"Will you be serious?!" I exclaimed.
"Besides, I don't need to come all the way to a church to pray. God is always with me." I informed him. "Shows how much you know." I muttered under my breath.

"What was that?" he demanded stepping closer to me.

"Don't you dare touch me." I warned.

He only laughed and lunged. I ran in the other direction avoiding his outstretched hands.

We ran down a long hallway that lead into a large empty room. There were long table stacked at the ends of the walls but it was mostly empty.

During my momentary lapse, Alex caught me and began tickling me mercilessly. I kicked and shreaked trying to throw him off between painful giggles.

"Stop! Alex! I'll! Kill! You!" I said between breaths.

"Aaliyah?" a voice echoed across the room.

Alex and I both looked up in surprise an out of the shadows stepped Ezekiel.