Go die in a hole

Ezekiel took me all over the island.

We walked to the tallest tower that had never been finished because of a war. We went to the very top of the almost three hundred foot tower and we could see nearly the entire island.

I could even see the palace standing out largely from the distance in the midst of the islands great white trees.

Then we'd stopped for a snack at the islands seaboard. He introduced me to Cheenies, a delicious pastry that I couldn't describe if I tried.

After that, we'd visited the islands university which looked like a very small version of a palace.

We walked past the hundred step staircase that I refused to climb. It lead up a small mountain where there were a few small shops and a museum. Not the best incentive to climb...anything.

One topic Ezekiel kept avoiding was his part in the island.

Every time I asked him, he made an excuse. I was really curious to learn more about him.

"Please Ezekiel." I pleaded for the umpteenth time. "Why won't you show me where you're from? I won't judge you." I promised.

He sighed heavily. "You want to see it that bad?" he asked me.

I nodded eagerly.

He took my hand and lead me back in the direction of the plaza. It was a long walk but I didn't mind any longer. I was too curious about Ezekiel to think about my aching soles.

About ten feet behind us, the guards trailed, noting every one of our movements.

It had been awkward at first but I learned to ignore them.

The car ride was silent and I didn't want to break it so we sat and said nothing. It wasn't uncomfortable though, it was nice.

The drive didn't take long and the sun was slowly going down by the time we got to a wooded area.

We got out and I followed Ezekiel through the trees.

We walked along a worn out path that Ezekiel seemed to know by heart though it was hardly visible.

He walked ahead of me in his own world.

After a while he began to walk more purposely as if he were angry.

I became a little regretful, afraid that something bad was going to happen. That I would see something I didn't like.

When we finally stopped there was no clearing, no break in the trees. Just a tiny house.

Ezekiel slowed down and walked hesitantly to the front door.

The house was a dark cocoa color, one story. It was about twenty feet wide.

The door squealed in protest as he opened it. The house surprisingly didn't smell old or abandoned.

He turned the lights on as we walked through.

The interior was mostly wood. Lots of paintings hung on the walls.

I didn't speak until we got to the back room where we stopped.

I gasped.

Where there should have been floorboard, there was dirt. The entire floor had been ripped out.

A single grave rested in the center of the dirt floor.

"Wh-"

I stepped closer and read the tombstone that looked so fresh.