Chapter 2

Brayden

The night air is cold. There's a slight breeze, and I pull my leather jacket closer to my body as the evening nips at my skin. The lights from the school building easily illuminate the front steps of the elementary school, and the occasional beep from a car being unlocked can be heard from the adjacent parking lot.

After the play had finished, the parents of the performing children were quickly told to wait outside for their kids, as the school would usher them out with a teaching aide to their respective guardians. Stifled groans could be heard from the crowd, as tired parents were eager to just scoop up their kids and leave. The front of the school had quickly become a zoo of lingering adults as we all waited for our charges to be brought out to us.

Visitors who had been obligated to watch a friend or family's child were quickly streaming into the parking lot and leaving the school in a rushed line of agitation. The little area in front of the school rapidly filled with the smell of gasoline as cars lined up behind each other to leave.

I lazily watched the crowd as they moved and shuffled around me. From the corner of my eye, I could see Damien as he conversed with a pack member. The tall man had a stern look on his face as he chatted, but the atmosphere around him seemed to be one of ease. His sharp face looked intently at the person talking with him as his dark eyes never strayed from their face

The wind picks up, and for a moment, the breeze moves his dark, curly locks. The black strands lift into the air and the light from the night sky gently glints against his dark ebony hair.

Feeling my stare, Damien looks up and meets my gaze. For a second my heart skips a beat before I quickly turn away breaking the intimate moment. The cool breeze nips against my heated cheeks, as my face flushes with embarrassment at having been caught staring.

A sudden hand on my shoulder grabs my attention and I look over, anticipating it to be the Alpha wolf. Much to my surprise, I notice a head of bright red hair and the familiar lean woman standing in front of me.

"Olivia," I smile at the middle-aged woman.

The sullen features on her pale face lifts at my friendly greeting, and her tired eyes seem to light up for a brief second.

"I thought I'd see you here," she greets in a soft voice.

Her small hands pull her oversized coat closer to her as another gust of wind blows past us. Her body is almost completely engulfed by her clothing. The dark colors hang loosely on her thin frame, covering herself all the way from her neck down to her slightly scuffed shoes. There's an essence of tiredness that surrounds her. With slightly sunken cheeks and a thin amount of makeup covering some dark circles under her eyes, her pointed features seem harsher under the night light.

I was happy she had approached me. Over the last couple of months, I had enjoyed the few interactions we had together when bumping into each other in public. Unlike her husband, there was a weariness to the woman that in some ways I felt that I could relate to. Our interaction had always been brief, and after The Run, she had been wary in approaching me, but I liked her, although the rest of Rocky Falls seemed to disagree with me.

Even now, I could see some parents quickly ushering their children past us, giving our little conversation a wide berth. Others peered at her from the corner of their eyes, cautiously scrutinizing her from a distance. I didn't understand their aversion to the sweet woman, and every time I asked Olivia she would quickly change the topic and had now stopped asking.

I give a glare to some of those around us, and they quickly turn around with some shame.

Fuck these judgmental assholes!