Chapter 6

Brayden

Lou and Al hadn't stayed very long after dropping off the new vehicle but it had still taken a while for the kids to come inside. From the twins raving about the built-in screens for playing movies to Marcus fiddling with the heated seats; my new present was definitely the best gift the kids had received in a while.

Although the person who was probably the happiest was Kelsey. The new van offered a lot more leg room, and a lot fewer cookie crumbs in the seats; something she was particularly ecstatic about. Not to mention her continued nagging and reminding that it would only be a few more months and she could take the new vehicle out on her own.

After the rush and excitement from Damien's gift, the late afternoon had turned into early evening and dinnertime began to quickly approach. It was almost time to eat, and I looked out the kitchen window as the chili on the stove finished its last few minutes of stewing.

The sky had definitely darkened, and it was clear the sun was beginning to set somewhere behind the veil of heavy clouds. As the day phased into the night, the light was not the only thing to diminish. The already cool autumn temperature had taken on an extra chill, and the sudden cold front also brought a fiercer wind. Even from indoors, the sound of rattling branches from the forest around us could be heard over the whistling of the incoming storm.

Lost in thought, I'm mesmerized by the coming weather as I watch the trees shake ominously under the weight of the harsh gusts of air. I subconsciously feel my face begin to pinch with slight worry thinking about the possible dangers of a strong storm.

How close are those trees? Maybe we should head into the basement for the night?

"We get storms like this every so often, but from all the decades my family has lived here we've never witnessed a tree fall," Damien comments, his deep voice rumbling from behind me.

I jump at his presence, not realizing how lost in thought I must have been to not hear him approach me.

"I didn't say anything," I mumble defensively, reaching up into the cabinet next to the kitchen window. My quick response is more due to Damien's uncanny intuition in reading my emotions, rather than annoyance at his actual comment.

I hear Damien chuckle as I grab a cup, filling it with water.

I don't acknowledge the Alpha wolf as I turn around and hand an awaiting Charlotte her requested beverage. The young child beams at me and swiftly grabs the cup from my hand. Some water splashes over the rim of the glass as her grinning red face eagerly gulps down the liquid. With a messy swipe across her wet mouth, she quickly hands back the empty cup before returning to the other kids.

I watch Charlotte dart from the kitchen to the living room, joining her two other siblings. From my viewpoint, I can just make out the crawling figure of Kelsey as she tiredly carries Charlie around in a circle on her back. The youngest Jones' brother squeals as Kels gives a half-buck and his little legs immediately tighten around her torso. At the same time, Charlotte rushes in and quickly jumps on her two siblings causing the trio to fall into a pile of excited squeals.

I smile as I walk over to the oven and listlessly stir the pot, deliberately trying to keep my hands busy. Even without looking at him, I can tell Damien has his eyes on me, and I try not to show my discomfort under his gaze. I was slightly flustered that Damien had seemed to read my discomfort so easily, and now I was trying to hide my embarrassment by smothering it under irritation.

The worst part was the bastard seemed to also sense this and I could feel his amusement like a physical vice as he heatedly looked at me.

By now I was used to his stare, but there was something different about it at the moment.