Chapter 5

Brayden

My eyes earnestly searched the backyard. With every sweep of my gaze, my glare hardened. I give a huff of irritation as I slowly turn my head not coming across the figure I had hoped to see.

Son of a bitch!

I grit my teeth as my aggravation grows and I begin to take off through the lawn, moving from the back of the house to the front, an ache begins to build in my mouth from the amount of pressure I'm putting on my teeth.

He said he'd meet me in the backyard. Where the fuck is he?

As I make my way from the back of the house and around to the front, a chilling wind blows across the lot and whistles through the tall canopy of trees. The dark grey clouds add to the cold afternoon, as the tops of barren branches sway against the dreary sky. My feet crunch with every step, from the dried yellow grass to the fallen colorful leaves. The arrival of my presence was not hard to miss.

With each step, my anger turns to worry as I force my brain not to wander into zones of disastrous scenarios.

I try not to let my emotions show on my face as I quickly move through the large crowd of people.

Stomping my way through my yard, present pack members immediately look my way as I approach them. With warm smiles and excited eyes; many drop their gaze as I walk by before stepping back as I pass them. I try not to appear rude in my avoidance of interaction, but I'm sure my mannerisms became more impolite as the source of my angst refused to appear.

Today was the day of celebration of my birthday and some of the pack was currently gathered in my yard on this cool Saturday afternoon. Everyone was happily sipping on drinks and nibbling hors d'oeuvres with contented smiles.

I had originally not wanted to have a party or celebration for my birthday. Feeling enough stress from daily responsibilities was enough of a headache already, and the thought of a mass celebration sent my emotions into overdrive. However, Kelsey was quick to persuade me to take advantage of the situation. If people wanted to celebrate me, then let them. If I felt too awkward in receiving gifts, then the kids could get some new toys.

Now, the yard had been completely transformed from its normally quiet atmosphere to a gathering of a couple of hundred people. For the last couple of hours, pack members had come and gone at varying times, all wishing to say hi and bring a gift.

My eyes continue to rake over the yard, scrutinizing each guest. I first look at the gift table before quickly adverting my gaze over to the food and drink tables. My fists clench as I see who I'm looking for. My irritation grows as I realize he doesn't even know I'm standing behind him.

Quickly marching over to the table, I watch as he continues in his oblivion and grabs another slice of cake, shoving it into his mouth.

Grabbing the back of his collar the little devil jumps at my sudden hold.

"I told you no more sugar!" I sternly scold the writhing child in my grip.

Charlie whips his head around and gives me a hard glare. His forehead crinkles with his obvious displeasure, and his eyes light up with fear. The little minion's face is red with both anger at my confrontation and shame at having been caught. Although the tough facade from the child was overruled by the fact that his round cheeks were stuffed with sugary pastry, with evidence of his crime smeared across his lips and gathered crumbs stuck on his face.

With a loud cry of indignation, Charlie begins to wiggle in my hold.

"It was just a small bite!" he defends himself, as his dirty hands try to reach back and dislodge my hold from the back of his sweater.