Chapter 10

Hannah

When I woke up, the world was blurry. I was still on the hardwood floor and since it was light outside, I assumed I'd been there overnight.

I pushed myself off the floor, groaning at the pain shooting through my back.

I stumbled up the stairs and pulled my phone out of my backpack. My eyes widened when I turned it on.

It was Monday morning. I'd been on the floor for two days!

The other thing I noticed were the many missed text messages. Nobody texted me. The only reason I even had my phone was so Dad could have easier access to me.

Do you want to hang out today? -Bradley

Hannah? -Bradley

Are you ok? -Bradley

At the risk of seeming creepy by spamming your phone, why haven't you responded yet? -Bradley

My jaw dropped as I stared at the screen of my phone. I quickly typed a response.

Sorry, I didn't see this. My phone broke and I didn't get it fixed until yesterday. -Hannah

I took a deep breath as I hit send and went to take a shower. I was running a little behind today, but I could probably still make it to school.

I left the water cold and got in. I shivered under the spray, but I knew my back wouldn't be able to handle the hot water.

By the time I got out of the shower, I felt like an icicle.

I quickly dried off and put on a loose long sleeve t-shirt and some leggings. I got all my stuff together and snuck downstairs before Dad could see me.

Once I was out the door, I felt like I could finally breathe freely.

I was slow on my walk and missed homeroom, but I made it to first period just before the bell rang.

Bradley was already there and he watched me closely as I walked to my desk. His fierce gaze made me nervous and I looked down as I sat in my seat.

"What's wrong with you?" Bradley asked. His voice held a hint of concern.

"Nothing."

"You're walking weird."

I just shrugged, keeping my gaze on my desk. I could tell Bradley was about to say something else, but Mrs. Morris started class before she could.

I focused on my work, actively avoiding Bradley's eyes which had remained fixed on me throughout the class.

Unfortunately, though, Mrs. Morris decided today would be the perfect day to give us time for our partner project. Why couldn't she have just given us a pop quiz or something?!

"Ok, what's going on?" Bradley asked. "Did I do something?"

I looked up in surprise and furrowed my brow. "No. Why would you think that?"

"You were acting weird on Friday at Senior Night, then you ignored my texts, and now you're acting weird again!"

"I didn't ignore your texts," I argued. "I told you my phone was broken."

Bradley gave me a look that said he knew I was lying.

"The phone store isn't open on Sundays, Hannah."

My heart stopped and I felt like I was going to throw up.

Bradley scoffed. "I knew you were lying!"

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

Bradley just shook his head and turned away from me. He didn't say a thing to me for the rest of class and when the bell rang, he was the one to rush away.

I felt tears fill my eyes, but I pushed them back and went to art class. We were doing watercolors. I painted a rainy day.

Bradley didn't come out to my bench at lunch. He sat in a different desk in our other classes together. He didn't talk to me, or even look at me the rest of the day.

I didn't even like Bradley. I shouldn't be feeling so bad about this.

But instead, my heart felt like it was being crushed into tiny pieces.

I was relieved when the final bell rang. I hated home, but I hated this feeling even more and I just wanted to get away from Bradley.

I walked through the hallway as fast as my back would let me. I had almost made it to the doors when I saw something that made my body freeze in place.

Bradley was pressed into the lockers, holding onto Sabrina while she kissed him.

I couldn't keep the tears from my eyes this time and I ran out of the building. I could feel my flesh splitting and I knew my back was bleeding, but I didn't care. I just ran and ran and ran until I finally made it home.

I ran through the door, tears streaming down my face, completely forgetting the monster who was waiting for me inside. I ran straight into his grasp.

Dad's hands gripped my arms hard enough to bruise.

"Why did I get a call saying you missed homeroom this morning?" He growled. His breath reeked of alcohol.

"I-"

Dad pushed me into the wall, making my back scream in pain.

I cried out and his hands released me, only to grab me by my neck. I gasped for any little bit of air I could get, but Dad's grip was just too tight.

My vision got spotty as my brain was deprived the oxygen it needed to survive.

I knew Dad wouldn't actually kill me, that would be too messy for even the police to cover up, so I just waited to black out.

My dad didn't grant me that courtesy though. He threw me to the ground and watched me writhe around, trying to catch my breath.

"I'M SO FUCKING SICK OF YOU!"

His foot sailed into my ribs and I cried out in pain. He kicked me again and again, screaming profanities at me.

I thought he was finally done when he went into the kitchen, but he came back with a knife in his hand and a crazed look in his eyes.

I was starting to question that Dad wouldn't kill me.

Dad came over to me and straddled my waist, looking down at me.

"I should have never been stuck with you," he sneered.

The knife plunged into my shoulder, just above my collarbone. I screamed as dots danced across my vision.

Dad pulled the knife out and I screamed again. He positioned it over my heart.

"IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN YOU THAT DIED!"

I closed my eyes, bracing for the searing pain that would bring my demise.