Chapter 25

Bradley

There should be blood. I should be bleeding. I should be dying on the ground.

But I'm not.

I turned around, staying in front of Hannah and saw that it was her dad that was on the ground with a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

I looked beyond him and saw Damien with a fierce look on his face and his gun pointed at Hannah's dad.

Our eyes met and he nodded at me. It was done.

I gathered Hannah in my arms and held her to me, keeping her eyes away from her dad. He may have been her tormentor, but he's still her dad and I don't want Hannah to see that. It could really traumatize her.

"What's going on?"

I held Hannah's head to my chest. "It's ok Princess. Damien's here"

"But then who—"

Realization hit and Hannah struggled to pull away from my arms.

"No Hannah. You shouldn't see that."

It was too late.

Hannah pulled away from me and stared down at her father who was laying motionless on the ground in a pool of his own blood.

Paramedics rushed in, but didn't find a pulse. I tried to get Hannah to look away as they loaded him into a body bag, but she refused. She watched the whole scene play out, eyes wide with horror.

Students and teachers had heard the commotion and were now surrounding the area outside the police tape. They were whispering about what happened and some were even crying.

Ms. Topaz rushed forward and pulled Hannah in for a hug. Hannah didn't respond, she just stood there motionless.

"Hannah sweetie?"

A single tear slid down Hannah's cheek and she clutched onto Ms. Topaz, breaking down into tears. Her sobs broke me and I felt the urge to pull her out of Ms. T's arms and into my own, but I didn't. I could tell she needed this.

A woman I didn't recognize as a teacher here cleared the halls of all students and teachers, herding them back into the gym. Once the halls were clear, she came back and stood off to the side.

Hannah's sobs quieted down and Ms. Topaz pulled back from Hannah to wipe away her tears.

"Why don't you come with us for tonight?" She asked Hannah. "I don't think you should be alone."

"Us?" Hannah choked out, focusing on that part of the sentence. I was more concerned about her going with them and not staying with me. I need her to stay with me.

Ms. Topaz smiled over to the woman who came over. "I'm Ellie, Sophia's—Ms. Topaz's girlfriend."

Hannah managed a soft smile at the woman and then turned to me. "I'll be ok," she told the women. "I have Bradley."

My heart warmed hearing her say that. She was right, she does have me. And she always will.

Hannah separated from Ms. Topaz and came over to me. I wrapped my arm around her, tucking her in close to me.

"If either of you need anything, you know where to find me," Ms. T said. I nodded in thanks and led Hannah out of the building.

The drive home was silent. Hannah had retreated into the back of her mind and I desperately wanted to yank her out, but I had to get her home safely first.

Now, we were home, and I carried Hannah inside. The events of the evening caught up to her and she was too tired to walk herself. I didn't mind though. I liked having her in my arms.

I set Hannah on the bed and looked at her dress. As gorgeous as it was, it didn't look very comfortable to sleep in. So, I went to my room and got a t-shirt.

"Hannah, Princess? Can I help you get into something more comfy?"

Hannah nodded, her eyes still glazed over as she stared into space. I sighed and put the t-shirt over Hannah's head. I took the dress off underneath and then slid her arms through the holes so I didn't see anything without her permission. I know she said I could help her change, but her mind isn't in the right place.

I left Hannah to change into a pair of sweats and then I crawled into her bed, pulling her into my chest.

Her breathing evened out and once I was sure she was asleep, I whispered the three words I had been longing to say for a while now.

"I love you."