epilogue | coda

{ coda }
- meaning "tail" in Italian; final portion of the film; the epilogue; provides closure

{ coda } - meaning "tail" in Italian; final portion of the film; the epilogue; provides closure

July

There's something about the New York City air that twists my lunch around in my belly. I'm about ninety-nine percent sure it's my nerves blending with the unbearable heat that has sweat pooling on my back and my freshly curled hair to frizz out uncontrollably. When I packed for my trip, I thought the film festival was indoors.

I really didn't expect to be standing in the middle of Central Park, watching a giant projector broadcast my competition in HD while the sun ruins my two hours of work this morning on my hair and make-up.

The festival spans all weekend, and my documentary isn't due to be shown until the final session on Sunday, prolonging our already long weekend into the work week. That's what I get for having a last name near the end of the alphabet. And once Ridley found out that tidbit of information, he hasn't let dad—or mom—live it down.

Ridley groans from his spot on the grass. He's sprawled on his back with an arm tossed across his eyes. "I should've gone with the littles. They're probably elbows deep in ice cream and shade."

Despite telling mom that this wasn't something worth getting the whole family around for (because it wasn't like I actually won something), she couldn't contain her excitement and all but demanded Raven, Rylan, and Rian find a way in their hectic schedules to show. Raven and her wife, Amanda, have spent the entire weekend with us, while showing their girls around the city that Amanda grew up in. Rian and his fiancee Emily landed this morning, not able to give up the entire weekend less than a month before their wedding. And with probably a million apologies slipping through her lips, Rylan decided to stay home, not wanting to bring her newish-born son into the city. Which, I get it, but she couldn't accept my apologies, feeling like a terrible sister for missing it.

But I'm not dumb. I know she's not that upset about missing it for me. But rather upset she might be missing out on meeting Lennon Ross.

I don't even know if he's coming, but he sure got my entire family in a scramble.

Rosie doesn't look up from her phone as she responds to her twin, "No one asked you to come."

"Mom did."

"Because you're fourteen years old and she doesn't trust you to stay home by yourself." She scoffs.

"Can y'all stop bickering? You're making my ears bleed, and that's saying something after that documentary we just watched." River butts in, scolding the twins like it's his day job and he's not getting paid enough to put up with their shit.

"Right?" Ridley joins in, ignoring the beginning of his older brother's statement. "I thought you'd have to be good at this audio shit to be here?"

I don't bother correcting the two as they dive into a conversation, critiquing the films they've seen using jargon I know they don't understand. Kneeling into the grass beside Rosie, I really regret wearing a dress. Guess I really should've read the fine print on that invitation.