sixteen | leon

PART II

sixteen | lyon

the capital city of the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region in the south of France; it was once the site of the ancient Roman city Lugdunum

RAYNA

May 8th, 17:00 (GMT +2)
7 days until it happens

"NO."

"No..."

"Agent Morgan–"

"Agent Shahid, what we're saying is–"

"Director Wilson, with all due respect, why don't you just–"

"...Chief Mills and I have arrived at a mutual agree–"

"–it has already been decided!"

The loud snapping arguments clash and fizzle each other out.

Silence.

The clock above the flat-screen ticks aggressively. Each minute we spend belabouring this stupid partnership shaves a decade off Cassidy's life.

The somber faces of my boss – CSIS Director Jimmy Wilson – and MI6 Chief Sir Gregory Mills are splayed across the TV on video-call. Sitting opposite me at the conference table, Jake digs his middle finger into his temple, irritation scoring his tan forehead.

I'm surrounded by old white men. Fucking fantastic. No wonder nobody cares what I have to say.

I loll my head towards the window. Spackled sunlight glisters off the glass. From the ninth floor of INTERPOL Headquarters, there's a lofty view of the rustic pastel hues of Lyon rolling into the banks of the Saône river.

"Since when," Jake wonders aloud, "Did MI6 start taking orders from entitled billionaires?"

Chief Mills' dull monotone cracks through the speaker. "And pray tell, Mr. Morgan... Since when did field agents dictate the parameters of their missions?"

My hand comes up to shield my face from the webcam. I stick my tongue out at Jake in an immature ha, take that! sorta way and he scowls at me.

Director Wilson is originally from Saskatoon, so he is the embodiment of down-home rural Canadian congeniality. "Agent Morgan," he apologizes earnestly, "We understand that this isn't an ideal situation. Our hands are tied on this one. These orders are above my pay-grade. What can CSIS do for you to smooth the transition? I've made it very clear to Agent Shahid that our team intends to cooperate with you to the fullest extent."

Ugh. Sentimental piece of shit.

With a saccharine smile, I nod docilely. "Of course, I'll be on my best behaviour. Anything to bring Cassidy home safe."

Jake opens his mouth, dubious, but Chief Mills cuts in first. "Excellent. It is settled, then. Our Quartermaster, Giles, is in the process of coordinating the transfer of our intelligence to your offices, Director Wilson, and we will of course be expecting the same courtesy."

"Of course," good ol' Jimbo agrees placidly. Is that a hint of tight-lippedness I detect?

Jake broods in his seat, arms locked across his hunky chest.

Teamwork is overrated – I can take it or leave it. But Jake detests having to collaborate with anyone other than himself, so I'm living for how miserable this so-called 'partnership' is gonna make him.

"Now, onto the real issue at hand, eh?" Director Wilson segueys. The video boxes collapse into a small corner of the screen as he tacks up a series of pixelated images. "We know that Cassidy was spotted in Prague two days ago, Vienna last night..." A third photo slides into the array. "And as of this morning, in Paris."