twenty-eight | nice

twenty-eight | nice

the city of Nice is reported to have an average of 330 days of sunlight annually, making it a popular year-round tourist destination

RAYNA

May 9th, 14:54 (GMT +2)
6 days until it happens

WHOEVER DECIDED TO leave a vain, self-absorbed teenage girl to her own devices without access to any of her electronic devices is an absolute fucking idiot.

She tosses herself across the couch with a histrionic flop of her limbs, as though physically dying of boredom. "What am I even supposed to do? You can't keep me here like this! It's against my rights or whatever."

I try my hardest not to roll my eyes. Jake has conveniently disappeared to take a phone call in another part of the villa, leaving me to deal with Cassidy's theatrics.

I blow a calming stream of air from my cheeks and try to employ my most soothing voice. "You can use the pool out back or go relax in the sun. There's a shelf of books just over there, and the TV has cable. You can cook something in the kitchen, go have a nap, use the exercise equipment in the other room..."

"The kitchen is empty. And I can't leave. I'm trapped against my will."

"Just for a couple more hours. Trust me Cassidy, we all want to get you out of here as soon as possible. We're waiting on your dad to come pick you up."

Like a fricking day-care. I didn't get a master's degree in criminology and black-belts in three different martial arts so that I could spend my life babysitting spoiled, obscenely rich heiresses.

"What about all my stuff? It's back in my hotel room."

I'm about to open my mouth to placate her, but then Jake materializes at the threshold to the living room. "I'll go fetch it for you, love. And I'll stop by the corner shop for groceries."

Cassidy sits up, suddenly tucking herself all neat and tidy, her eyes going wide and googly. Oh, gimme a break... "Can I come with?" She bats her falsies at him and he gifts her a small, rakish grin that makes my insides roil.

"Sorry, darling."

She pouts but doesn't argue.

"Rayna, want anything from the shop, love?" His eyes twinkle at me. He's already tugging his shoes on, fingers poised around the door knob.

I am going to kill this man. Absolutely eviscerate him.

"How about I go instead?" I mimic Cassidy's silliness by fluttering my eyelashes effusively at him. "I'm sure Miss Dalton would much prefer your company, anyway..."

He doesn't argue. He doesn't offer a retort. He doesn't try to bargain with me.

He just winks at me and walks out the door, letting it swing shut behind him. The room goes silent.

"Cassidy?"

"What."

"I'm bored too. But I have an idea."

***

JAKE

May 9th, 16:41 (GMT +2)
6 days until it happens

I PURPOSEFULLY SPEND an inordinate amount of time at the grocer's. Forcing Rayna to sit with Cassidy is only fair after this morning's debacle featuring my wrist, a pair of handcuffs, and the bedpost.