20

(March 11th, 56 days old)

"Do you think I'd be allowed to get up and go upstairs to see Mae?" Hailey asked.

It had been a few minutes since Doctor Asher had talked to them both individually and since Jay had returned back into the room next to her. He had taken a seat on the stool in the room and he made a comment about the seat being wonky so every once in a while Hailey would catch him needing to readjust his position as he continued to slowly slip down the seat. It would make her chuckle and in turn he'd crack a smile too and then squeeze her hand - every time.

Jay was expecting this question, but despite that he didn't think to ask the doctor for the answer when he last saw her. So he just shrugged his shoulders subtly. "I don't know. Maybe. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to."

Then there was a knock on the door that brought both their attention up to look at Will as he poked his head through the gap. The redhead sends a smile to Hailey and then moves his gaze down to his younger brother. "Just to let you know everyone's in the waiting room, do you want me to go out there and tell them what's going on?"

Jay darts his gaze briefly between Will and Hailey before he shakes his head and gets to his feet. He was starting to slip off the stool so he was gonna have to stand up anyway. "No, I'll go out," he says, looking at his fiancée again. "You gonna be alright?"

She sends Jay a nod. "I'll be fine."

He squeezed her hand again before letting go, making his way over to the door. Will moved out of his way, allowing Jay to move past before Will knitted his eyebrows together.

"I can sit with her if you'd like?" The redhead offers.

Jay's lips pulled up into a straight line, seeming to think about his answer for a beat before he nodded his head once. "Yeah, please."

"Jay." Hailey spoke up from inside the room, turning her head to one side, a look on her face telling her fiancé that she didn't need to be observed at all times but Jay ignored it, looking back at his brother.

"I'll be back in a minute." He told him before turning around on his heels and heading off in the direction of the waiting room.

He could barely get through the doors before the unit surrounded him, all of them with the same scared expression on their faces. Jay took a steadying breath in.

"She's okay, the doctors want to keep her for some observation but she's awake, she's alert, her head is a little slow but she's doing much better."

Adam's the first with a question as he shoved his hands into his jacket pocket. "Did they say what caused her to pass out?"

"The blood loss, low blood pressure," he replied, earning more confused looks but he didn't give them the chance to cut in and ask why she had so much blood loss, beating them all to the punch. "She called it a secondary postpartum hemorrhage, said it can be fatal, which is why they wanna keep her here, but I don't fully know what it is, I've been scared to look it up.. I don't have my phone." His face drops with the realization he had left it behind in the bullpen as he patted his empty jeans pocket.

Kim then reaches into her jacket, pulling out a cell phone, extending it out toward Jay. This makes the detective smile as he takes the phone from his friend.

"Thank you."

"I also have your fiancée's," she says, reaching into her back pocket to receive it. She quickly shrugs her shoulders at the looks she was getting from everyone after having put it in a separate pocket as she hands it over. "Where's the dramatic reveal if I pull out the wrong one? I had to make sure that didn't happen."