12. the princess and the pauper

The engagement party was filled with activities prepared by all Stratfords. The ladies went on picnics into the woods, the men on rides and outdoor games. Even the earl hosted parlor games. However, the most exciting parts of every evening, and one that many of the guests loathe to miss, would be the play series written and directed by Freda and Roxie.

Geneva, on the other hand, almost missed all of it because on the first night of the ball, she changed her mind. She reasoned her dress was hideous, which Gwen said was not. Then she was not feeling well, might be coming down with a flu, which Helene immediately brushed aside as nothing but a symptom of staying indoors for too long.

"We've been working on your dress for days, Miss," Helene said. "It would be a shame to not wear them."

Gwen had fallen silent during the exchange. She watched Geneva pace around in her chemise and drawers. "If you don't mind, Miss, I will attend the party in your stead."

"What?" both Geneva and Helene asked.

She smiled and lifted her shoulder in a shrug. "If you do not go, these dresses we've worked hard on would not see the light of day ever again. And I've always wondered what it would be like to dance with a Stratford."

Geneva blinked at her companion. Gwen was younger than her by a few years, and more beautiful, too. With her dark brown curly hair, she could fit right in with the Stratfords. Even her bubbly character would be welcomed in that family.

Gwen sighed, dramatically dropping her shoulders. "But who would want to dance with a maid?"

"The Stratfords would not bat an eye. They have no boundaries," Geneva nonchalantly said.

The two servants shared a look while Geneva's mind reeled at an idea. She grabbed Gwen's hands and said, "You must attend with me."

It was Gwen's turn to blink. "I was merely jesting, Miss." Letting out a nervous laugh, her eyes jumped from Geneva to Helene, then back. "I was merely jesting!"

"You can come as my companion," said Geneva, stepping back with a more confident smile. "I'd be much comfortable going with you in the party. I'm not well-acquainted with the female Stratfords, or any of them, really."

"B-But Miss, I do not have anything to wear-"

"Of course, you do," Geneva said. "Try one of the dresses we remodeled." Turning on her heels, she gathered her black hair, adding, "Now, Gwen. We must prepare for the ball."

"But what if the mistresses find out-"

"I will take full responsibility," Geneva said, looking up from the wash basin to smile at Gwen through the mirror, renewed excitement bubbling inside her.

Gwen and Helene looked at each other, dumbfounded.

"We shall not get caught, Gwen. I promise."

***

Damon waited outside the courtyard, leaning against the wall as Harry and Webster greeted the guests. Simone and Daniel Cavendish were already inside, enjoying the first ball of the engagement party. Some guests would be staying in the manor, others were just neighbors who could come and go as they pleased.

"And what did she say again?" asked Webster over his shoulder before facing two guests with a greeting. Harry was doing the same beside Webster, blocking Damon from view.

"She was speechless," he replied. "I think it is hopeful."

"Or not," Webster said.

"She did not say she's against the courtship."