26. the new chapter

Things happened fast. It felt like she took a nap. It was short, but filled with a series of nightmares that rendered her immobile. Helpless. And in just a snap, she woke up, and it all ended. And she didn't wake up alone. She was with the people who fought for her freedom. She trusted them and they didn't fail her.

One moment she was in a room listening to Doctor Mills talk about putting holes in his patients' heads, then she was in a carriage heading home, in the arms of her mother, her father holding her hand in his warm, rough hands.

"We're here, darling. You're not alone," her mother murmured against her temple, lips trembling as she, too, cried. From across the carriage, Matthew stared at her with a guarded look, as if he expected something to happen any moment. Beside his brother sat Damon. He gave her a small smile when her eyes landed on him.

The carriage behind them carried Stephen, Jasper, and the young attorney.

Everything seemed in place.

Yet she knew she was coming home to another challenge.

Her hand tightened around her father's. She wasn't ready to face her aunts. Could she forgive them for what they did? As her fear subsided, and the reality that she was once more free sank in, she just wanted to go home with her family. Wherever it might be, she could not return to the Withers House. Not for now.

***

They stayed a night in Strait, then they went to Dafield where Simone and her new husband welcomed them and where they stayed for three more days.

"You have had such an adventure, brother," Simone said as she settled beside him with a smile.

He only shook his head, also finding it hard to believe that things had gone this far.

"I told Daniel during our honeymoon that I was getting bored. Little did I know that we'd be coming home to this." She leaned closer and whispered, "How much of this mess was your fault?"

"None—Well, I don't know."

Simone laughed, looping an arm around his and resting her head on his shoulder. "Now that you've made such a mess, marry the woman. I don't think she wants to go back to her aunts."

"She has her family now, you know."

"Yes, but surely you don't expect her to live with them forever." Her head moved over his shoulder to look at him. "You want to marry her?"

"Of course," he said. "In time."

"When?"

"Her time."

She sighed. "Things fall in their rightful places, eventually."

He patted her cheek. "They did for you."

Simone chuckled and kissed his cheek. "Thank you for making it easy when it did."

He grinned. "Am I your favorite brother now?"

"You still made me stay in the well for a day years ago."

His laughter rumbled in his throat. "You nearly caused a fire, Sisi."

She scoffed. "Not just me."

He patted her hand. "It's not good to hold grudges."

His sister laughed and sighed. "I hope things fall into place for you and Geneva."

"I hope the same."

***

On the day they finally arrived in Abberton, Geneva went home with the Vernons. Every morning, Damon would come by and they'd take the hike to Windsong. Sometimes, Matthew would come with them with the cow. On occasions, Freda and Roxie would show up and they'd spend the day in the garden, picking flowers or drawing. She'd return just in time to help her mother prepare meals for her father and brothers. She learned other chores, such as washing clothes and gardening. Her afternoons varied. Sometimes Damon would come by and stay for supper, or they would pack food in a basket and go back to Windsong. But most of her evenings were spent with her family. Over meals, they would talk endlessly, with no time to care because she was no longer chasing it.