23. the fearless

Damon arrived after haphazardly shrugging into a coat and ran to the woods with Roxie. When he reached the cabin, Geneva stood beside Freda, eyes filling with tears. She walked into his arms and whimpered almost immediately, shoulders shaking.

He sent the two girls a look of gratitude before they quietly left.

Long after her tears subsided, Geneva gripped his hand tightly that it almost lost its color. "I'm not crazy."

"No, of course, not," he said, planting a kiss on her cheek. The tears had dried, but he still tasted their salty trace.

"She wanted me to go beyond the hills," she said, gaze lost in the line of trees up ahead. "Aunt Deborah. Before she left for Birth, she told me to go beyond the hills."

He squeezed her hand. "And even if she didn't, you would have still done so."

She nodded slowly before turning her head to look at him. Her eyes wandered his face. "I'm afraid they'll send me where they sent my great-grandfather."

"Then I guess I'll have to rescue you," he said with a faint smile. "Although I don't think they will succeed."

"You don't?"

He planted a soft kiss on her lips. "Because you wouldn't let them."

Fresh tears fell from her eyes, and he wiped them away with his free hand. "I'm glad I have you."

"Me, too," he murmured in her hair. He couldn't imagine what it would be like for her if she were alone. How frightened she would be. There were things he wanted to tell her about her aunts, but he knew they would only hurt her.

"This shall pass," she said, resting her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sure it will."

When the sun was finally up, she told him she didn't want to go home. They hiked the path over the hills and down to the Vernons. There, while he waited outside the cottage with her brothers, sharing a pot of fresh tea, Geneva and her parents talked inside.

"You think they'll send her away?" Stephen asked, a line forming between his eyebrows.

"Why would they think she's insane?" Jasper incredulously wondered aloud. "It is them who are sick in the head, to be honest."

"Geneva won't let them," Matthew said, his confidence in his sister clear in his voice, although he warily looked around for any sign of agreement. "But it's best we plan should they take her away."

"What do you have in mind?" Stephen asked, the corner of his mouth curling as he humored his brother.

"We block the road and force her out of the carriage. And we'll take her far from Abberton. They're too old to look for her themselves, so they'll hire people to look for her. Hopefully, their money will run out before they find her."

Jasper slowly nodded. "That sounds like a plan."

"And how do you plan to keep her? Do you have the means to house her somewhere?" Stephen asked.

"The Stratfords will take care of that." Matthew turned to Damon. "You can elope with her. Get married. I'll be a witness. Maybe you don't have to hide her after that. You can just go back to Abberton as a married couple."

"That sounds lovely," said Damon, "but I doubt your sister will approve of any plans that will distraught your aunts."

Matthew scoffed. "They are no aunts of ours."

"They are still blood, Matthew," Stephen said, voice etched with authority.

"Then what do you suggest we do? Wait until they die-which I don't pray for, if you're wondering-so Geneva finally gets her freedom?"