8. YOU CAN REST WHEN YOU'RE DEAD, UNLESS YOU WORK FOR LEON.

Sometimes in life, or death, we were graced with the presence of a person so attractive that the encounter made us question everything about our orientations, desires, and perceptions of beauty until that point. The red-headed woman leaning against the door frame was just such a person. Her legs were endlessly long, and her hair was sleek, straight, and hung to her waist like a perfect strawberry waterfall. Even in flat shoes, she seemed impossibly tall and narrow, a willowy person with the sort of body that worked well with a skin-tight black dress like the one she sported. The long slit up to her thigh revealed a garter to which she'd attached her scythe. It was compact and folded down, ready to be used in an emergency much like Leon's. The woman smiled radiantly with her red, glossed lips, and her pointed green eyes were alight with amusement.

"Anna, what are you doing here?" Leon asked irritably. "You have souls to pick up."

"Yes, I know. In fact, I have a damn sight more than I should have, thanks to someone."

"Jane was the one to reallocate them," he said dismissively.

"And you were the one to pick up a girl with no paperwork," Anna countered. "A rookie mistake, wouldn't you agree?"

"Then blame her." Leon gestured at me. "I'm stuck on babysitting duty because of her cock up."

Anna flicked her gaze over to meet mine. In a few strides, she crossed the room and brought me against her body in a warm, comforting hug. I was afraid of creasing her dress and felt my muscles stiffen in her embrace. Anna didn't notice. Like me, she was probably preoccupied with Leon's unfair claim that I was the one who'd screwed up. It wasn't like I'd asked the ambulance to hit me. I didn't want to die when I did. Also, how was I meant to have lost my paperwork when I'd never set foot in the afterlife before Leon had hurled me through the barrier?

In a soft tone, she cooed, "As if I would blame this poor little kitten for dying." Her voice snapped back to being cold and accusatory for Leon. "Why didn't you consult with Jack before you decided?"

"Jack's gone," Leon said without ceremony or feeling.

Anna made a noise of despair. "Another one? Really? And Death paired this poor girl with you in his stead?"

"You make it sound like she's the one getting the worst end of this deal."

"I am." My voice was muffled against Anna's dress.

"She is," she echoed. "If anything happens to her—"

"Save it. The boss has already said his piece. Where's Lola?"

The way they so easily dismissed the demise of Jack made me shudder. Anna at least seemed concerned that I was about to be paired with Leon when it seemed he had a habit of letting his colleagues die in the field, but I noticed she didn't intervene in our arrangement. Nor did either of them seem sad that Jack was gone. Either he was about as popular as Leon, or Reapers were just completely immune to grief thanks to their jobs.

"Getting the new list. I wanted to see what Jane was talking about when she said you were having a tough day. Personally, I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. The little kitten will probably be good for you. I just hope you can be the same for her."

"My name's Mackenzie," I offered, unsure about the nickname Anna had chosen. "You can call me Mack if you want?"

Anna held me at arm's length to take a good, long look at me. "I like Mack! And you're so cute! I'd keep you myself, but I already have Lola."

"Someone mention me?" Lola asked. Anna turned, and I peered around her at the vibrant girl who'd bounded into the room. She was petite with a blue pixie cut, wearing skinny-fit black jeans and a black crop top. Almost every inch of her was covered in tattoos and her face was dotted with piercings. She made a high-pitched squeaking noise when she saw me. "Omigod! Blonde! I haven't been blonde in for-ever!"