17. LIFE IS AN OPEN BOOK. DEATH IS A POORLY WRITTEN ONE.

Clark might have thought that I'd hidden long enough, but I didn't agree, which was why I took my sweet time as I made my way back to the room where I'd left Death and Leon

I assumed that their meeting would drag on, especially if Leon intended to provide a full report on our first trip together. Therefore, I wouldn't have been missed. Besides, I couldn't go anywhere. In fact, as far as I saw it, the only place I might wander to in the afterlife that was remotely dangerous was Hell. I hoped the pair knew I had more sense than to pootle off to the underworld while Clark was doing everything in his power to keep me from doing just that.

The door was closed upon my return. The dense wooden structure was more than adept at keeping the noise inside, but it hit me like a train when I forced the door to give way without knocking. I figured either the pair had left, or they were long since finished with whatever discussion I wasn't permitted to hear.

I was wrong on both counts.

"– can't always be her babysitter!" Leon shouted furiously. "There! I said she would come back on her own!"

Leon's voice had come from the ceiling where he was held aloft by Death's supernatural power. His limbs were spread out and, like he was some horror movie starfish, he gritted his teeth and struggled fruitlessly to free himself. Death's bony hand was held out, invisibly pinning the Reaper in place. At Leon's announcement that I'd returned, Death turned away from Leon. The spell was broken, and the Reaper yelped when he dropped to the ground like a rock.

"I expected you to wait outside," Death said as though he hadn't almost killed Leon.

"You just told me to leave," I reminded him. "You didn't say where I should go."

Death paused. "I see. I suppose I could have been more specific in my instruction."

Leon staggered to his feet. "So, if I refuse to go look for her, I get thrown into the ceiling. She admits that she wandered off on her own, and you think you should've given better instructions?"

If Death had been in possession of eyes, I imagined they'd have narrowed in frustration. The skeleton flung out his arm and Leon was knocked back into the sofa. The whole piece of furniture was upended when it was struck, and Leon tumbled backwards over it to hit the floor on the other side.

"I got lost." I worked to keep my gaze affixed on Death rather than seeking out Leon, even though I was certain he was hurt from the way he groaned. "Clark found me."

"I'm glad to hear that at least someone was concerned about your whereabouts. I shall send my thanks to Clark." Death pressed his bony hand to his chest. "I offer my apologies. You must have thought me very rude when I snapped at you."

I had, but I wasn't about to tell him as much. I simply shook my head so that my tone wouldn't betray the lie.

"You are very gracious," he observed.