4: Moving With No Direction

Coming to work the following Monday was not the same as it had always been. It was different this time. All because of what I had done to Zayn on his couch.

When I went home and was finally out of view of others, I felt happy and relaxed. Almost as if I didn't run out of there in a hurry because I hated what I did. I finally got to kiss him and feel him. I finally got to just be me. And as terrifying as it was, it felt like the best thing that ever happened to me. Because I knew I didn't pay for it this time.

Even though I did want to see Zayn, I didn't seek him out. After all, we were not supposed to be talking about this at work. But that didn't mean that I didn't think about him every opportunity I had. Because I did. I really did. I thought about what he let me do and what he might let me do in the future. The things I could do to him, he'd probably never expect from me. But I could change his world in the same way that he could change mine.

The more I kept thinking about the possibilities, the more I knew I couldn't have them as long as things went on the way they did. So around three o'clock that afternoon, I mustered up the courage and I walked to my father's office where he was.

"Hi, son." He said when he saw me. "I just got off the phone with your mother."

"How is she?"

"She's fine."

"Good."

"Why did you come see me?"

I clasped my hands in front me. I hoped I wasn't about to hurt his feelings.

"Can I ask you for a favor?"

"Sure, what?"

"I know that you bought me my house. And I'm very thankful for it."

"You're welcome."

"But at the same time it is mine now, it's in my name and it is my space. So do you think you could not drop by unexpectedly or without calling first?"

"Wow. I was not expecting that."

"I love having you there. I do. But I need privacy- like you said I should seriously think about finding someone. But if I'm considering bringing them to my place, I can't have you showing up unexpectedly. It would just turn them off."

He perked up. "Wait. Are you saying this because you found a girl?"

I thought carefully.

"No. I'm just saying just in case. Because soon I might end up bringing someone there. You never know."

"So what you're saying is you haven't found a girl?"

"I have not."

"Okay."

"So are we good?"

"We are excellent, Harry. Quite frankly, I'm just glad you're taking this seriously because at first I was getting the impression that you weren't going to. Your mother is right. You really are growing up."

I raised my brow at him.

"Growing up because I might be interested in a girl?"

"Because you're interested in living life the way it should be lived. Being alone is no good for anyone. Take it from your mother and I. We realized it the hard way."

I said nothing.

"So anyway your request will be honored. No unexpected visits without a call first. Just- please, if you're going to be having sex you need to at least be safe."

"Dad."

"I know. I know. You're much too old for the talk. I just feel like I never really got to have it with you. You were never much interested in girls until now."