Chapter 4

Chapter 4

-Farley-

I knocked on the deep brown door. I was sure Caspian knew I was coming anyway; the walls were pretty thin. "Come in Farley," Caspian called, voice clear as day. I pushed the door open, not needing to use the handle since the door never shut properly.

Caspian's bedroom was the biggest room in the house because it doubled as an office. It was still rather cramped with the large desk by the window and the double bed in the middle of the room. It was rare that we would have serious meetings in his office, family meetings often took place in the living room. This room was the perfect place for serious private discussions when we couldn't be bothered to leave the house, save for the thin walls.

Caspian was sitting on his bed, papers scattered around him. "Good evening, Farley," Caspian said with a smile on his face. Curiosity was clear in his blue-green eyes, but so was stress. His mahogany brown hair was a mess, presumably from where he ran his hand through it, a nervous habit he held. "What can I do for you?"

"Evening," I said with a nod towards Caspian and Clementine, who was sitting in Caspian's office chair. Clementine nodded back to me with a mock-salute. "I wanted to talk to you about another pack who is close by."

"Another pack?" Clementine asked, her blue eyes widening. She leant forward, her loose blonde hair falling over her shoulder. She wasn't wearing a hat, which was strange. "I've not heard of another pack around here."

Caspian coughed and started to shuffle some papers around. He put them into a blue folder which was also on the bed before standing up. His grey sweatpants trailed the ground as he trudged towards the desk, stopping to lean against it with his arms crossed. "How do you know there's another pack nearby?"

I fiddled with a loose thread on my jeans. "I went on a walk, and I bumped into someone, then I overheard him having a conversation with someone else." I didn't like the way Caspian looked at me as I admitted to overhearing someone's conversation. He had tilted his head down and gave me a stern glare. "He was a strange person, I was interested."

"That doesn't mean that you eavesdrop on people's conversations," Clementine scolded. "You need other reasons. Can't judge someone for being strange."

I snorted as Caspian's stern stare turned towards Clementine. She shrunk slightly under his gaze but smiled innocently.

"Eavesdropping is rude, no matter what." Caspian sighed before running a hand down his face. The dark circles under his eyes were extremely prominent in the white light of the room. "Where did you see this person?"

"In the forest," I answered quickly. "I was getting some fresh air and I walked into him on a new trail." Caspian raised his eyebrow at me and gestured for me to continue. "I thought it was odd seeing someone in the middle of the forest at that time-"

"Even though you were there," Clementine interjected, but I didn't pay any mind to her.

"-so, I started to talk to him." I paused and rubbed the back of my neck. "His name is Pax, he's blind, he met up with someone called Cedar." I didn't exactly know what Caspian wanted me to say. I could've gone into a mass amount of detail about the past few hours, from the amount of steps I took out of the forest, to the exact shade of Pax's hair, which I would describe as caramel.

"How do you know he's part of a pack?" Caspian asked with a strained tone. I wonder what's up with him, he is clearly stressed, but he hasn't mentioned anything to us about any issues.

"A few things suggested it. Perhaps it was the fact he was on patrol? Or maybe it was the fact that he was called 'pup'? Though I think what really gave it away was the fact he said that they were part of a pack." I couldn't help my feelings from showing in my words. The confusion and the panic made me feel bad. My voice sounded sarcastic, even to my own ears.