Chapter 31

Chapter 31

-Pax-

I felt awkward without Farley to rely on. He left around ten minutes ago, and I was starting to worry. Although, I had been distracted through those minutes. Mary and I were having a discussion about her ornaments when she stood up and hurried out the room.

"Just one moment dear, I have something that might be useful for you." She shuffled around in the cupboard which I assume was under the stairs. "I've just got to find it."

"It's okay," I said with a slightly shaky voice. "Take your time." I didn't know what she was looking for, but she had given me a surprise when she jumped to her feet. I thought that I had missed Farley coming in, or that something terrible had happened. I sipped my lemonade again. I really enjoyed it, but it gave me a strange sensation in the back of my mouth which I wasn't expecting.

There was a noise of static in the room, it came from the right, but I didn't know what was causing it. I learnt what it was when Iris made a reference I didn't understand. The pack did that a lot, but surprisingly, I wasn't afraid to ask them to explain themselves.

I traced patterns on the settee, following the design of circles and lines until Mary returned. "It's a bit rusty. It'll need a good cleaning," she said, coming closer than she had been before. I was confused with what 'it' was, but I didn't have to think for long. "Here you go." She placed something in my hand.

I opened my mouth, about to ask what it was. Though somehow, I felt some familiarity with the object. The handle was made out of rubber, but it felt very strange. I gripped the handle with my right hand and felt the object with my left. It was long and thin. There were occasional bumps in the surface until I got to the bottom, where a sphere turned.

I couldn't help the grin that creeped onto my face, it felt like it was permanent. "Is this what you were telling me about on the bus?" I asked hopefully. I twirled the object in my hands, causing something soft to brush against my face. "Whoops."

Mary laughed. "Yes, it used to belong to a friend of mine. He just so happened to have a spare one. So, he didn't need this. He knew that I am quite a social lady, and assumed I knew someone who would make use of it."

The thing which hit me in the face was a string which went through the body of the cane. The ball at the bottom was smooth, clearly never used.

"What if he needs it?" I asked. I felt coolness rush to my fingertips. This used to belong to someone else, he was kind enough to give it to Mary, but he might need it in the future. He would come back for it, and I would have it. I was unsure if I would describe it as guilt, but it wasn't pleasant.

Mary laughed even more. "He can get himself another one, that one was given to him." She paused for a moment. "I think he'd be happy if you were to take it, he didn't have one when he was your age. He used to always tell me about getting his own cane."

I wanted to jump up and down in joy. I wanted to yell, and I wanted to thank her a million times. I found myself turning to Farley, before I remembered that he wasn't there.

"Can I go show Farley?" I asked. I couldn't wait. He was on the phone too, which must mean that something important has happened.

My mind tumbled, remembering the fact that we were running away from Kian's pack. I had to go see him.

"Why don't you give the cane a go?" Mary suggested. "You want to be in the room just around the corner from this one; just feel your way around the wall."

I stood up and held the cane in my right hand. I pretended like it was my stick, just rolling it across the ground. It was a lot easier to use than a stick, and the grip was much softer.