Chapter 50

Chapter 50

-Farley-

We couldn't find him and he didn't come back. We searched the majority of the night. It felt like all we were doing had been searching for Pax over the previous few days. It was starting to get under my skin. I knew it was necessary for him to run away, but when around thirty allies can't find the person you've just had a date with, it was disheartening.

The anxious thoughts about whether or not that was our first and last date didn't leave my mind. I wanted to hold him in my arms and talk about nonsense with him. I was missing him.

"You're killing me," Iris muttered as she sat beside me on the settee. "Have you heard from anyone else recently?"

I looked at her with the grumpiest look I could muster, which wasn't too different from my current facial expression. "Who would I be talking to?" I asked her. "We didn't give Pax a phone or anything."

"Yeah, but we have thirty wolves looking all over for him, where we can get to him." She put her hand on my shoulder,. "I bet nobody's looking inside houses."

I raised an eyebrow. "You want me to break into people's houses?" I asked slowly. This girl was getting madder by the minute. Rowan still wasn't making any progress, so it was understandable that she'd be somehow trying to distract herself, but I didn't think that breaking and entering would have been a first choice.

"No!" She hit my arm. "Not in broad daylight."

It was only when she said that did I notice the sun was starting to rise.

"Just ask around," she finished.

I opened my mouth to reply but a knock came from the door.

Harlow looked up from his seat and his eyes met mine. "Maybe Caspian should open it?" he suggested. "Or at least someone who lives here, and is able to fight."

"I'll go get him," I announced and left the room. As I was passing the front door, I caught the faintest of images through the stained glass. "Iris, come here," I called back into the living room and opened the front door.

The sight before me was very humorous. If it hadn't been for the fact we had been searching all night for him, I would've laughed. Pax had a deep frown on his face and sunglasses on his nose. His shoulders were slumped and he held onto Kelsey for support.

Kelsey, being much shorter than him, looked like she was struggling to keep him upright. "I believe this little pup belongs to you?" Kelsey asked with a grin.

"Don't say it like that," Pax whined and red crawled up his neck. "That makes me sound like I'm a dog who got lost on the street."

"You did get lost on the street," Kelsey argued. "Now, please take him."

I stepped down and put his arm around my shoulders and lifted him into the house. "What could've happened for you to be like this?" I asked. "You weren't injured when you left."

"He's not," Kelsey informed. "He's got a hangover."

Those words were more shocking than any injury could be. I didn't expect to ever see Pax drunk, nevermind hung over, anytime soon.

"What happened?" I asked Kelsey. "Please tell me you didn't actually find him on the street like this."

Kelsey shook her head. "I'll let Pax tell you. I've got to go to work." Kelsey backed away.

"But, okay," Pax began to argue but then just shrugged his shoulders. "Thank you!" he said loudly and waved.

"Have fun nursing that," Kelsey told him before giving me a thumbs-up. "I'll check on you guys later."