Chapter 1: A Number

ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘ ⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘𐡏

"What's your number?"

"Tuna?"

Kaori grinned at the platinum blonde as she held her phone in her hands eagerly. She leaned forward and offered her device to him, her long hair slipping off of her shoulder as she moved.

"What's your number? Could you type it in for me?"

The boy removed his hands from his pockets and gently took the phone from the girl, confused why she would ask for his number when they had barley even met. "Salmon," he replied nevertheless.

Kaori beamed at him and watched as his thumbs tapped along her screen, punching in the numbers that she would eventually use to build their relationship.

The boy returned the phone to her, leaving just the digits on the screen. She tapped done, then typed in his name, T-o-g-e I-n-u-m-a-k-i. "Thank you!" she chirped as she held her phone with one hand. She waved the phone to her side and tilted her head with a smile. "Please let me know if you need anything!"

Inumaki paused, and then nodded. "Salmon."

ʚ♡⃛ɞ

Kaori's first day at Jujutsu High had left her feeling hopeful about the year. She had already gotten her classmates phone numbers, starting with Panda, the kind cursed corpse. Maki asked not to be called by her last name when Kaori had addressed her as Zen'in, giving Kaori a feeling that she was willing to already be on a first name basis. And finally, Inumaki, who she was told could only speak in rice ball components.

Gojo Sensei had given her a quick introduction of the first years since her late arrival at the school left her behind in proper training and knowledge. His attitude towards his students, especially towards Kaori herself, seemed oddly friendly. Regular high school teachers are strict and demanding, giving her just another reason to become a Jujutsu sorcerer.

ʚ♡⃛ɞ

*Ding!*

"Huh..?" Kaori grumbled, slipping her phone out of her pocket as she halted her steps on the path to the training field.

One new message

Mom
Hello! Did you make it there okay? How is your first day going? Did you meet your classmates? Please try and be careful out there with those curses!

It's nice here, the city doesn't even seem the same up in the mountains. I got all my classmates numbers, and there are only three others! Don't worry about me, I'm sure Gojo won't put me in a dangerous mission!

Mom
Just be safe.

*click*

She slipped her phone back into her pocket and patted the guitar case on her back as she continued to the field. The early autumn air nipped at her exposed neck as she hopped down the staircase and onto the solid ground. She smirked, knowing she had probably sent her dad into a fit of range over her unapproved exchange to Jujutsu High.

He gets what he deserves.

The teen walked into the center of the grass, removing the guitar case from her back and plopping it onto the ground along with herself. She flipped the latches of the case open and rested her chin on her knuckles as she decided how she would train solo.

Shooting?

No, she didn't have any targets.

Hand on hand?

No, who's the other hand going to be?

"Agh! This is impossible." She slammed the case closed again and flipped the latches, throwing the strap over her shoulder again. I'll just run with this on my back. As she thought, she picked herself up and started to jog around the track, keeping her feet shallow to the ground to lessen the amount of times the case slammed against her back.

After a few laps, she slowed down her pace to catch her breath. She groaned from her boredom as she came up along the staircase.

"Kelp!"

Help?

Kaori slowed down and saw one of her classmates, Inumaki. He had changed out of his uniform since it was sunset now, and he was dressed in a comfortable sweater and jeans. His green turtleneck still covered his mouth, but Kaori could still tell it was him.

"Hey Inumaki!" she greeted, now realizing his words were "kelp". She kept her running pace as she joined him next to the stairs he was still descending.

He waved at her as she stopped at the foot of the stairs, her hands on her hips and her chest heaving from her run.

"Tuna?" he asked, implying why she was running at the current hour.

She tilted her head to his question. Upon this, he stuck his hand in his pocket and pulled out his own phone. He typed something into it and Kaori felt her own phone buzz in her pocket. She undid the button and read what her screen showed.

One new message

Toge Inumaki
What are you doing?

The teen lifted her head and responded with a laugh, "just training, I wasn't sure what to do so I just did some laps." She pointed her thumb at the track behind her earning a nod in return.

*Ding!*

Toge Inumaki
You shouldn't wear yourself out on your first day. Do you want me to walk you back to your room?

She starred at the screen, considering his reasoning. Her eyes met his brown ones and she agreed with a bow, "yes, thank you!"

Inumaki's soft expression turned away from her as he waved his hand for her to follow him up the stairs. She skipped up behind him and joined him at his side.

The walk wasn't far, but it wasn't shortened by any conversation either. The two were still unfamiliar with the other, but it didn't bother either one of the students. Once they had arrived in front of Kaori's room, she thanked him for accompanying her.

"Thank you for walking me," she smiled as she opened the door.

Inumaki nodded, "salmon."

The girl waved to him before shutting the door behind her once she had stepped into the room. A pink light showed through her curtains as she walked over to her still fully packed suitcase to pick out her clothes to sleep in. She set her weapons case on the floor and changed out of her uniform. Pulling the covers back, she climbed into the fresh sheets along with her phone.

Before she could scroll too far, her phone buzzed and a notification popped up on her screen.

One new message

Toge Inumaki
Goodnight :)

Her eyes glued to the words as her blank mind tried to gain some focus. Unknowingly, a smile hung on her lips as she replied,

Goodnight!