'Thank you, Carlton' by @Chynalove99

Runner-up entry for the 'Food Freak' contest: Written by  Chynalove99

December 22nd, 1993. New York City.

As I waited for the train, I brooded on Carlton's death and the events afterward. Finally, the procession made its way to Grand Central. When I finally got to my destination, I began my fifth day of job searching, but I was finding no luck. As I walked back to the train station, I saw a flyer that read:

BAKING COMPETITION! THE WINNER GETS $1000!

Without a doubt, I knew I had to win this contest. Because if I did, it would do true wonders for me and Jodie, my six-year-old.

After picking Jodie up from my apartment neighbor, I went straight to work. I got out all the essential ingredients and began cooking, something I barely did as Carlton was a chef and did all the cooking. I put the cake mix into the oven and played with Jodie.

A while later, I noticed a burning smell coming from the kitchen. I realized what I had done and took the cake out with bare hands, not thinking about getting a mitten.

I threw the burnt cake on the floor and screamed in pain. Jodie ran into the kitchen.

"What happened, mommy?"

I pretended everything was fine and told her to go to her room. She frowned and walked back to her room. I let out a sigh and ran my hands under some cool water. After my hands felt better, I cleaned up the mess and decided to try again later.

After putting Jodie to bed for the night, I got to work. I didn't burn it, but it didn't taste the way it should. As I huffed and puffed, I threw the cake into the trash.

"Forget about it," I spoke to myself. "I'm not winning anything."

I let out a soft cry so Jodie wouldn't hear me. Our lives were perfect before the fire destroyed everything. The fire destroyed my job and took my husband away from us. I kept thinking about what Carlton would do if he were in my shoes. He was an excellent cook.

Then I remembered. I walked over to the cabinet and opened it. Inside was Carlton's secret recipe for his cake that he would always make me for my birthday. I got it out and studied it. I knew what I had to do. I got the ingredients and got back to work. After an hour, I took out the cake and was confident I would win.

The next day, Jodie and I went to the bakery where they were having the contest. As I saw the cakes, my palms got sweaty, and butterflies flew around my stomach. I didn't think I was ready. The competition began, and the judges tasted every cake and wrote it down on their notepads. Afterward, the judges sat down at a long table and began whispering to each other. I squeezed my hands tight, and I put my head down. The minutes felt like years, and I looked over at Jodie. The possibility of losing and the consequences that would follow made me even more nervous.

"Mrs. Harrington!"

I snapped out of it and looked around the room. Everyone was clapping and looking at me.

"What happened?"

"You won." The host responded.

And just like that, tears streamed down my face. The host gave me a thousand-dollar check, and Jodie ran up and hugged me.

"Mommy, you won!" She exclaimed

"We won, baby. We won." I whimpered in tears of pure joy.

After everyone had left, a man in his forties approached me. "Would you like to work here?"

I immediately accepted his request, and he told me my starting date. I picked Jodie up and snuggled her. "We're gonna be happier now, okay?"

Spring had rolled around, and Jodie had just turned seven. I've been working at the bakery, and my cooking skills have improved. We didn't end up homeless, and for the first time since Carlton passed away, I was much happier. As I was cooking dinner, I looked up at the ceiling.

"Thank you, Carlton,"