'Home' by @dambesc

Winning entry of "Rewind to Write" Prompt 3: Written by dambesc

Home... That word has always reminded me where it all began. I wasn't a child born in a hospital. My mum gave birth to me at home. She was with my father and, according to my mother, he didn't let go of her hand until the moment he had to hold me. Whenever I hear this story from my mother, the image of our house comes before my eyes. Thirty years ago, a child was born in an ordinary house. She grew up in that house and then... When her father got cancer, they had to sell that house for his treatment. A year later her father passed away and that girl became an adult. That girl was just... I was only fourteen.

Now I was travelling on the bus and going home. To make it our home again. It was going to be a birthday present for my mum. Maybe I could give her the moments we had together.

I had bought the house a week before, but I hadn't got the keys yet. I was excited and peaceful.

I read the next line and closed my book.

I believe, every day, you should have at least one exquisite moment.

And this one was mine exquisite moment. I put my book into my bag. I took a deep breath and started to follow the road. My eyes were about to close. When I was a child, whenever I travelled by bus, I used to fall asleep because I knew we were going home. And now, I was going home.

***

"Miss," The sound filled my ears. Still, my eyes remained closed. "Miss,"

I reluctantly opened my eyes and saw a young boy standing in front of me. He was probably one of the passengers.

"This is the last stop."

My eyes widened when I heard his words. I looked around in astonishment. This was not the place where I was born and raised. I turned my gaze back to the boy. "Where are we?"

"Sherborne."

My eyebrows furrowed. I exhaled noisily. "Well, thank you." He nodded and smiled. Then he went back to his seat to collect his things.

I grabbed my bag and tried to find my phone and wallet. I could only reach my phone and its charge was dying. I needed a charger.

"Excuse me." The boy turned his back. "Do you know when the next bus leaves?"

He smiled and answered. "Tomorrow morning."

My eyes widened again. I went back to looking for my wallet. After three minutes, I turned my bag around and let everything fall out of it. I threw my hair back. "Where, where..." I was getting worried.

"Is there a problem, miss?"

"As a matter of fact, yes," I replied in a cracked voice. "I can't find my wallet."

He stopped for a moment. "Was anyone with you?"

"No, I was alone." I bit my lip. "But I was asleep..."

He nodded as if he understood. "I'm sorry."

I was distraught. My mind and memories had caught me off guard. I was broke.

"Mr. Fleming... He... I'm so sorry," the doctor says.

I see my mum's face. I know we have no home, no family except each other. She's trying to stay strong. I look at her face. I call out to her. She turns to me. She smiles. A moment later she falls and lies on the floor. Hours pass. I pick up my mum, we go to a hotel. I sleep. I know I'm having the worst sleep of my life.

"Do you have any money?"

I heard the boy's voice, but I couldn't answer. I reached into my coat pocket. I could only find ten dollars. My desperate gaze turned to the boy. "I have to go to the police station."

"Sure, I can help. If you need anything else,"

At this moment, my stomach rumbled. I felt tears welling up in my eyes.

"There were some eggs in the fridge, dear."

I hear Mum's voice on the other end of the phone.

"I'll be late. Sleep well."

We switch off the phone. I go to the kitchen and crack myself an egg. There's no bread left. I want to buy some, but I know I don't have any money. I eat the egg. When I go to bed to sleep, my stomach starts growling.

"I'm very hungry, do you want something to eat?"

I looked at the boy. He acted like he didn't hear anything. He was a nice boy. He looked about fifteen.

"Do you know a good place?"

His smile was huge. "Sure, my parents' house."

I paused for a moment. Family. Home. I couldn't help myself, my lips moved. "We can go to the police station later."

I learnt his name was Dave. He had two older brothers. They'd moved to Sherborne two years ago and were at peace here. Something in me wanted to know more about this family. Something in me wanted to be part of a family again. My mum was everything to me, nothing could change that. But deep in my heart I knew I wanted a whole family. I wanted Dad to be with us again. I wanted a brother or sister. I wanted us to be together again.

"Here we are."

I looked at the house Dave showed me. It was a nice cottage. Just like our old house. He stepped forwards and reached the door. He was knocking excitedly.

I hear someone knocking. I ask who it is.

"It's me, Clarke."

I open the door. Clarke... He gives me bread. Our eyes meet.

"I can't take it," I say.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel bad."

I know he loves me. He knows I love him. But we both know I can't take it.

"Aren't you coming?"

I stood back. I didn't have the strength to move. I walked into a family home years ago.

"I can smell the food. My brother's favourite is meatloaf."

I smiled at him. It was Clarke's favourite.

"Come over, Mum's made meatloaf."

I look at him hesitantly.

"Please, she wants to see you."

I know it's true, but even if it's not, I'm sure he'll make up something to get me to come with him.

"Okay," I say with a smile.

"I'm coming," I say. "It's my favourite too."

He smiles. I tried to remember Clarke's smile. After dinner that day, his mum had given birth. He had a little brother. We didn't see much of each other after that. Mum got a new job. More bread for us, and so we moved out.

The door opened. I realised it was one of Dave's brothers. He greeted us and invited us in. Dave began to explain everything very quickly. I watched him with a smile. We started to move forward. His brother showed us to the dining room. I don't know how to explain it... I took my gaze away from Dave and I looked forwards and I saw him. I saw him looking at me. I saw him holding the bread. I saw Clarke. The eldest brother. My first love. And this was the most exquisite moment of my life.