Chapter 14: Emily

Freshly showered and wearing a light blue sundress, I headed towards the World's Fair Park, where Jay had told me to meet him. Since he was insistent he wasn't bringing back my underwear, I chose not to return his shirt.

As I neared the park, I had to shield my eyes from the glare off the giant globe of the Sunsphere. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, so the park was full of sunbathers, couples throwing frisbees, and parents watching their kids as they ran through the dancing fountains and climbed through the playground.

I looked around for his familiar face, wringing my hands. I caught myself biting at my bottom lip as I scanned the faces surrounding me. I was about to head to a bench to sit and wait for him, when I felt arms wrap around my waist.

"Are you wearing any panties under this dress?" His breath was warm against my ear. I closed my eyes, bathing in his scent. I leaned back into him as he nibbled my earlobe and kissed my neck. I momentarily forgot that I was mad at him and what I had come here to do.

As his hands roamed over me, I gathered my senses.

"There are children around." I managed to say.

He released my waist, but reached down for my hand. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" I asked, allowing him to pull me along.

"Somewhere there aren't any children."

I tugged on his hand and stopped walking. I knew what would happen if I let him take me somewhere private. I was weak when it came to him. I had to put an end to this right now. While I still had the nerve and we were in public.

"Jay, wait," I said. "I can't. We can't."

He turned to stare at me and I had to suck air back into my lungs. His eyes were as blue as the sky above. I should have done this over the phone. Looking into those eyes, made all my defenses fall. He brought my hand to his lips and lightly kissed my hand.

"Em, just hear me out first." He pleaded.

I pulled my hands away from him and crossed them across my chest in an effort to get some distance from him.

"Does Lucy's dad pay you to stay with her?" I blurted out the question that had been burning inside me since Mia mentioned it.

He took a step back and gawked at me. "What? No. Where did you hear that?"

"Mia."

He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Of course. You know Mia really needs to learn to mind her own business and keep her mouth shut."

"I'm all confused, Jay. I don't know what's true and what's not. Or who to believe. I just know you have a scary girlfriend who might actually kill me if she finds out we slept together. So I have to walk away from you before this gets any messier. Despite what my feelings may or may not be for you." I was proud of myself for getting all that out. I hugged myself prepare to walk away.

But he reached for me, pulling me against him. He loosened my arms and wrapped them around his waist. He cupped my cheek and leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. I tried not to respond to him, but his tongue ran across my bottom lip, begging for entrance and I caved. He kissed me so thoroughly, I had to hang on to him when he pulled back, not trusting my own legs to support me.

"Let me tell you my side of things, and the truth." He begged. I swallowed and closed my eyes, trying to regain some composure.

"Jay, I..." I shook my head, but his lips were on mine again and all composure was thrown out the window.

"Please, Emmy." He took my hand in his. "I really like you, just give me a chance to explain this whole situation. Then if you want to walk away, I will reluctantly let you go."