Chapter 48: Jay

"I want you to go. To leave." I heard her saying the words, even though I didn't want to. "This meant nothing. I don't love you. I never really did." Tears were streaming down her face and I knew she didn't mean it. She couldn't mean it. My chest tightened as she turned and fled down the hill, leaving me standing here, watching her go. I thought the words she had spat at me in the park yesterday hurt. But I was determined I could fix it. As long as she loved me. "I don't love you. I never really did." Her words sliced through my heart, leaving it in tatters.

She had been my saving grace. She had been the girl who made me enjoy life again. Now, she was gone. I wanted to punch something. I wanted to hurt something as bad as I was hurting right now. I hitched up my bag and started down the hill. I stopped in front of the Jessie Harris building. I wondered if she had gone to her class or if she had gone back to her apartment. I thought about waiting it out. Waiting to see if I could catch her as she was leaving class.

I don't love you. I never really did.

I gritted my teeth and walked as quickly as I could up the street back to my apartment. I changed into my gym clothes and jogged down the street to the gym. Luckily the punching bag was open. I wrapped my hands and took all my hurt out on the bag.

I didn't stop until I could barely stand. I was covered in sweat and my hands ached. My legs and arms were burning, but my heart was still broken. I gave the bag one last punch then stretched out my hand. I grabbed a towel and wiped my face, then tossed it over my shoulder. I made my way back to my apartment.

Joe and Will sit on the couch, engrossed in a game of Call of Duty. I walked right in front of them.

"Dude, you almost got me killed." Joe called out. I ignore him. I dropped my bag and pulled a bottle of Jack Daniels from the cabinet. I twisted off the top and took a drink straight from the bottle. The liquid burned as it coated the back of my throat. I turned it up, taking another drink.

"You alright there, buddy?" Will asked. I waved him off and took the bottle of Jack to the patio.

Halfway through the bottle I had gone numb. By the time I got to the end, I couldn't remember my name. But I would never forget hers.