𝟎𝟏𝟑. FIRST BLOOD

THE SUN was beginning to set by the time Aenora finished meeting with the lords of the Seven Kingdoms, imploring them to pledge their allegiance to her brother and his reign

THE SUN was beginning to set by the time Aenora finished meeting with the lords of the Seven Kingdoms, imploring them to pledge their allegiance to her brother and his reign. The idea of Aegon ruling the Kingdoms sickened Aenora, but what could she do?

Rain pelted her small body as Naerys flew beneath a storm cloud, her broad chest rumbling with displeasure as Aenora guided her in the direction of Storm's End. Aemond ought to be done with his negotiations and Aenora wanted a word with him before they returned to the Capital.

Alone.

A mixture of regret and anger churned Aenora's stomach as she urged Naerys forward, ignoring her disgruntled roars as thunder boomed and lightning cracked across the sky. She blamed herself for the incident in the library. She never should have told Aemond that Jacaerys kissed Alys, but her anger got the best of her.

But if Aemond had been able to control his own rage, their sister would have never been forced to flee to Dragonstone, thereby leaving the throne vulnerable during their father's final hours. She hated to admit it, but she and Aemond truly were the two sides of the same coin. They felt in such extremes that it made it very difficult to tolerate one another, but how could Aenora fault Aemond for his impulsivity when she herself was no better?

Her eyes fluttered shut as a wave of nauseating shame washed over her.

It was wrong, she knew it was wrong, but part of her wished that Princess Rhaenys had done more than intimidate her family...

Aegon should have never been crowned. He didn't deserve the throne. It wasn't his to take.

Her hands curled around her saddle until her knuckles glowed white against the sleek black leather. Naerys' dark scales glimmered in rainwater, glistening a beautiful blue as her muscles twitched with each beat of her wings.

"I know," Aenora murmured as she reached out and slid her hand up and down Naerys' neck. "We're almost done, girl."

Naerys chuffed and shook her head, splattering Aenora with rain as she tucked her wings and dove, bursting out of the storm cloud with a shrieking roar. Storm's End loomed on the horizon, the tall spire shrouded with low-hanging clouds.

Her eyes scanned the courtyard for any sign of Vhagar, but the massive war dragon was nowhere to be seen.

Aenora frowned. Aemond should still be at Storm's End...

"Ninkiot, Naerys!"

With another roar, Naerys tucked her wings and sailed for Storm's End. The wind whipped through Aenora's hair and droplets of rain sliced against the skin of her face as Naerys dove lower and lower, but just before her dragon could circle around the spire to land, she let out an ear-splitting shriek as another dragon hurtled into the sky, slamming into Naerys from below.