↳ 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞. 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐬.

*

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

FINALS ARE ALMOST DONEI MIGHT ACTUALLY CRYwarnings: family issues (bby jackie), swearing, "pervert" name used onceplease let me know if I missed any!*

I MIGHT ACTUALLY CRY
warnings: family issues (bby jackie), swearing, "pervert" name used once
please let me know if I missed any!
*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

Stanza 1-2, Lines 1-8

"Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow."

- Dreams, Langston Hughes

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

Jacqueline grew up without her mother. She didn't get to experience a comforting hand rubbing her salty tears into her skin, the kiss to her hairline every time she left for school or having her shoes tied whenever her laces came undone. She didn't get her bed and closet checked for monsters, her curly, black tresses done into a pretty ponytail with a bright pink bow or food scrubbed away from her plump cheeks.

Jacqueline was always a bit of a messy eater.

Instead, she got fleeting kisses that made her crave for more and the occasional thumbs up her mother would give her before rushing out the door with luggage in tow. It would leave her to tie up her laces all by herself, putting on a pink hat that would flatten her wavy curls and messily wrap a scarf around her neck before facing the brash winter cold all on her own.

Mothers weren't perfect, that was all she knew. They were allowed to make mistakes and be forgetful because they always made up for it with tight arms around your body, the warmth that radiated off of them soothing the icicles that form around your heart. They loved you and that was enough to make them stay and try and be perfect for you.

But, does that mean her mother doesn't love her? If she were any less of the woman she was now, would Jacqueline's mother look her in the eyes and tell her she was proud?

Why did she always have to leave?

Jacqueline remembered growing up with spite in her heart when she saw little girls and boys being kissed by their mothers. She remembered how heartbroken her big brother looked when their mother skipped out on another Mother's Day celebration, the cake they made her now cold and the gift they wrapped remained that way.