Chapter 2

Carefully frosting the last of the cookies, Bucky sighs in relief. Now all he has to do is get them packaged up and delivered. Barnes Bakery had been in the town for what seemed like forever.

"Hey Becca, can you help me box these up?" Bucky asked as his sister, Rebecca, entered the kitchen of the bakery.

"Sure thing." She said before washing her hands. "So, have you figured out a plan to get your arch nemeses to marry you?"

He frowned as he placed a couple cookies into a pink box. "I don't need her to marry me, I just need her to act like my girlfriend for the holidays, there's a difference."

Becca laughed. "Whatever you say, big bro. But you do have a plan, right?"

"Of course, I have a plan. It's called Operation Christmas cookies." Bucky lightly shakes the box of cookies in his hands. "And who doesn't love my Christmas cookies?"

"True, you somehow make the world's best cookies." She says as they finish boxing the last of the cookies. "Do you need any help delivering these?"

Bucky shakes his head. "Nah, but you can help me load them into the truck."

After he hops into his truck, he tugs on a Santa hat and buckles up.

"Time to deliver some cookies."

~~~~~

You're doomed. Not only do you not have a date to the Christmas party, but your crazy parents are coming to town to visit. And you may have told them you had a boyfriend, just so you could get them to stop setting you up with less than average suitors. So, yeah, you were so doomed. A loud knock at the door shook you out of your thoughts.

Before you answered the door, you looked through the peep hole. Bucky was standing there, a box of cookies in hand and you groaned. You opened the door with a frown.

"Sorry Barnes, I'm all stocked up on Girl Scout cookies."

He deadpanned. "Ha ha. Very funny. But they're not Girl Scout cookies. They're specialty Barnes cookies. Best you'll ever eat."

You eyed the pink box he was holding. "I think you mean the last thing I'll eat because you've probably poisoned them."

"Trust me, if I wanted you dead, you already would be."

A sigh escapes your lips. "Fair enough. What do you want Barnes? Knowing you this is a bribe."

He cursed under his breath. "That obvious, huh? It's kind of a long story, mind if I come inside?"

Opening the door wider, you gesture inside. "Fair warning though, those who enter hardly ever come out."

He chuckles, a sound that never fails to cause warmth to blossom in your chest. "I think I'll take my chances, sugarplum."

~~~~~

You stood wide-eyed as Bucky finished his explanation. He sat on the couch, palms sweaty as he watched your expression. As he waited for your response, his blue eyes wandered around your house. Christmas decorations lined the walls, and they all seemed to just scream you. A sense of home and comfort washed over him. His eyes looked back over to you. Your bottom lip was pulled between your teeth as you thought.

"Look," Bucky started with an exhale. "I'm not gonna make you—"

"I'll do it." You said. "If..."

"If..."

"If I'm gonna be your girlfriend for the holidays, you have to be my boyfriend for the holidays. As much as I hate to admit it, I need your help getting some guy off my back. He's extremely annoying."

His stomach twisted with jealousy as he thought about another man pursuing you. He shook off the feeling and flashed you a smile. "Of course, sugarplum. The only guy who gets to annoy you is me. And I take my job very seriously. When you get frustrated and your cheeks puff out," He laughs softly. "It's adorable."

You cross your arms. "Have I mentioned that I hate you?"

"That's I hate you affectionately, right?" He asks slowly getting off the couch and walking toward you.

You swallow slowly before taking a step back. His hand itches to pull you closer to him. "It's just a regular hate...that you would have...toward someone or something you didn't like. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The office party is this Friday at 7. You'll need a suit. Do you even own one, Mr. rugged baker?"

He hums before licking his lips. "Actually sugarplum, I do. But if I wear it, I don't think you'll be able to keep your hands off me."

"Keep dreaming Barnes." You say pushing him back.

He hates when the warmth of your hands leaves his chest. "I will. And you might not have noticed but, your picture over there is a little crooked, you might want to fix that."

You glare at him. "I think you've extended your stay long enough, Barnes. So, if you could see yourself out, that would be fantastic."

He raises his hands in defense. "Alright, sugarplum. I know when I'm not wanted. But don't forget to enjoy those cookies. I made them with hate, affectionately. So, I know you'll like them."

"Goodbye, Barnes."

He smiled. Was it weird that he found joy in making you irritated? He didn't dwell too much on the thought. "Goodbye, sugarplum. Until Friday."

"Until Friday."

He left your house, a light feeling in his chest. Now all he had to do was keep his feelings to himself, but who knew. Christmas was a time of miracles, and maybe, just maybe, you could be each other's.