Chapter 5

Bucky paused before he opened the door to the room his grandma was staying in. He took a breath before reaching for the doorknob. His hand touched yours, as you went for the doorknob as well.

"Sorry." You both said at the same time.

Bucky smiles nervously as he retracted his hand, bringing it back to the tree in his hands. The pine needles are poking him slightly, but he hardly notices as you step closer to him. He swallows slowly as you stare at him. He feels his cheeks burn as you stare at him intently, your eyes searching his face as if he had the secrets to the universe.

You laugh and pat the tree in Bucky's arms. "I got it, Barnes. You've got your hands full."

He watched as you opened the door, a breath he didn't know he was holding was release, and Evelyn came into view. Her eyes lit up as you and Bucky entered the room.

"Oh, James! What a wonderful surprise! And you brought a tree!"

Bucky chuckled as he set the tree down and hugged her. "Hey, Grandma. I thought you might want this room to be a bit more festive."

Evelyn hugs Bucky before looking over to you, standing behind Bucky. "And you must be Y/n."

You walk forward and hug Bucky from behind and smile. "Yes, I am. It's so nice to meet you. Bucky's told me so much about you."

Bucky's breath gets stuck in him throat as he feels your body mold against his back. You're warm and a soft blush crawls up his neck and to the tips of his ears. The beating of his heart is loud, and he's surprised you can't hear it. Well, if you do, you don't mention it. He puts his hands on top of yours, keeping them in place on his stomach.

"It's such a pleasure to meet the woman that has taken James' heart." Evelyn says as she smiles at the both of you. "I was beginning to think James would never settle down."

"Grandma..." Bucky whined. He felt you tighten your arms around him, and his body tingles. He clears his throat, trying to shove his feelings aside. "Let's just decorate the tree."

"Alright sweetie." Evelyn laughed softly.

~~~~~

You grab the star out of the box of decorations, the last thing in the box. You walk over to Evelyn and Bucky and hold out the star.

"Who would like to put the star on top of the tree?"

"You should do it dear." Evelyn says, and you look at the tree.

You nod and go on your tippy toes so you can try to reach the top of the tree. You weren't quite tall enough, but before you can do anything, two strong hands grab your waist and lift you up. You let out a squeak and a low rumble escapes Bucky's throat.

"I got you, sugarplum."

His voice sends shivers down your spine, and you take a deep breath to calm yourself. You place the star on the top of the tree, and Bucky lowers you back down. You turn around in his arms, his cologne mixed with the smell of pine sends your senses into a frenzy. You feel his hands still on your waist, and they seem to light fire to your skin. You pat his chest, unsure what else to do.

"Um, thanks." You breathe out.

"No problem, sugarplum." He said smiling down at you. "Gotta keep up the act, right."

You tried not to let your disappointment show. "Right. The act." You whispered. You looked away from Bucky's eyes, afraid if you looked any longer, he might break your heart even more.

"Alright lovebirds, come help me with my puzzle." Evelyn interrupted as she dumped a puzzle on the table, causing you and Bucky to snap out of your thoughts.

Bucky knelt down once he got to the table, the fabric straining as his muscles moved. He looked at you and patted the spot beside him. You walked over and sat beside him. As you all built the puzzle, you and Bucky kept touching each other accidently. Bucky's hand brushed against yours, sending tingles up your arm, more times than you care to admit.

You were holding a piece, trying to find where it went, when Bucky connected his piece with yours.

"Looks like you're the missing piece I've been looking for. Er, I mean, you have the piece I was, the puzzle, uh...yeah." His cheeks tinted pink as he grabbed the pieces and connected them to the rest of the puzzle.

You brushed off his mistake. You know he didn't mean you. You guys were rivals. He could never love you, right? Evelyn clapped as the puzzle was completed. Before you knew it, Evelyn was pulling out her phone. She motioned for you and Bucky to get closer.

"Come on, now. I want a picture of the both of you. You make such a cute couple."

Bucky slid an arm around you and pulled you into his lap. He was so warm, and his breath tickled the back of your neck. He wrapped both arms around you, keeping you secured against him.

"Comfy, sugarplum?" He whispered into your ear, his voice like smooth honey. "'Cause I sure am."

You felt your breath hitch as you felt his chest rise and fall with each word. You just swallowed slowly and looked toward Evelyn. She snapped a picture and smiled.

"Beautiful! When's the wedding?"

"Grandma..." Bucky said with a warning tone.

"What?" She asked with a shrug. "You're not getting any younger. I'm certainly not getting any younger. I want to see my grandson married before I die."

You felt Bucky's arms tighten. And you don't know why you decided to speak. "We're getting married in January. We wanted to tell everyone on Christmas, but I guess you figured it out early."

You couldn't see Bucky's face, but you knew he was probably shocked. Bucky's deep voice sounded from behind you.

"Y-yup. Uh...surprise?"

"Oh James! That's wonderful!" Evelyn gushed as she hugged the both of you.

You were so doomed.