Chapter 3

He's nervous.

It's not like he's never been to an office party. He has, once, but he has. He's also going to be accompanied by you. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but he kind of wants to make a good impression. He didn't want to be your enemy, not at first anyway.

He remembers the first day he met you. You had walked into his garage, looking tired and frustrated. But even behind the bags under your eyes and your crazy hair, you seemed sweet. Cute. He was fixing his motorcycle, but he wiped his greasy hands on his white shirt and smiled at you.

You sighed. "Hey, um, sorry to bother you, but could you help me move my couch into my house? The stupid movers left all my stuff on my lawn and—"

"Sure thing." He was standing up before you had finished your sentence. "I'm always happy to help a neighbor out."

He ended up helping you assembly your bed after he brought the couch in. Conversation flowed naturally between the two of you. It had been a while since he had a nice talk with someone who wasn't Steve or his family. It felt nice. You were nice.

"Wait," You give him a confused look as he finishes fixing the table. "You're a baker? Somehow, I don't believe that. No offence."

He laughs. "None taken, doll. But I am. I'm actually the owner of Barnes Bakery. You might have seen it on the way here."

"The one with the giant cupcake on the roof?"

"That's the one. If you stop by tomorrow, I'll give you some cookies for free." He winked at you and flashed you a smile.

You shook your head. "You've already done enough."

"Doll, you wound me. You're the first person to ever reject my cookies. I think I'll cry myself to sleep tonight."

You laugh, and his stomach flutters. "Okay, fine. Wouldn't want you to cry."

"Exactly."

The both of you grew close and then one day, you just stopped. It was after your breakup with your boyfriend, Mark. To say Bucky hated his existence would be an understatement, but Bucky never said anything, because, well...you seemed happy. And that's all he wanted for you. After your breakup, you seemed to avoid Bucky at all costs. And Bucky tried getting your attention, he really did, but nothing worked, so... he became your rival. He annoyed and angered you to no end, and that got a reaction. And that was when he decided he'd much rather you hate him than not feel anything toward him at all. So every year around Christmas he decorated his house to the nines and he...well he created the competition so he could interact with you.

And maybe he rigged the competition, so he won every year, but his chest always tingled with warmth whenever you turned toward him and said, "I'll get you next year, Barnes. You can be sure of that." And maybe it was a little cruel, but he was planning on letting you win this year.

He looked in the mirror again and smoothed down his blazer and ran a few fingers through his hair. Would you like his outfit? He shook his head. You probably didn't care. He looked over himself one more time before walking out the door. He knocked on your door, rubbing his palms together nervously. You opened the door and his breath caught in his throat. You looked stunning in a sparkly red dress, and all dolled up.

"Hey sugarplum. About time, I've been standing out here for twenty minutes." He says looking at his watchless wrist.

"Barnes." You looked over Bucky's outfit before looking back at his eyes. "Maybe I should have made you wait longer, maybe you would have turned into icicle and not talk."

"Ooh, you want me to match with your cold heart? How sweet."

You roll your eyes. "Let's just go."

~~~~~

You can't help but stare at Bucky as he drives. It's definitely not something you should find attractive, but it is. He's ice blue eyes are focused on the road, his knuckles gripping the wheel firmly. He wasn't wrong when he said he'd look good in a suit. He parks the car and you quickly look away from him.

"You ready, sugarplum?" He asked turning toward you.

"I should be asking you that. Have you ever been to one of these?" You counter.

He crosses his arms, causing his muscles to strain against the fabric of his suit. "I have." He defends proudly before faltering. "Um, once."

"Just stick with me. I kind of want to stay low on the radar so if you could keep your charm to yourself, that would be great."

He raises an eyebrow before leaning closer to you, and his scent envelopes you. "You think I'm charming?"

"No, you heard wrong. Come on." You say before stepping out of the car.

You heard him chuckle softly and he gets out of the car. You stop Bucky in the hallway by the doors where the party is being held.

"So, just a warning, there's this guy—" Your spot Brock walking toward you and Bucky and you look at Bucky. "Kiss me."

"Wha—?"

You grab his face and smash your lips against his. A surprised noise leaves his throat, but his hands automatically grasp your waist and pull you closer. You kiss him for a few seconds, trying to ignore how good of a kisser Bucky was, before Brock clears his throat. You pull away from Bucky, but his hands don't leave your waist, in fact, they seem to tighten.

"Oh, hey Brock." You say. "Didn't see you there."

Brock hums in disagreement. "So, this is him? Bakery Boy. Seriously Y/n, what does this guy got that I don't?"

Bucky pulls you closer "Her."

Brock frowns. "Well, if you decide you're bored of him, you'll know where to find a real man." With that, he swings open the door and enters the party.

You force yourself out of Bucky's grasp. "Sorry about that. Um, no more kissing."

"You're the one that was kissing me like I'm about to leave for war." Bucky said with an amused smirk.

"Just forget about it. Let's go inside." You said, though for some reason your body missed the warmth of his hands on your waist the soft feeling of his lips on yours.