PROLOGUE » MY NEW CHAPTER

🌀 🌀 🌀

Exploration and Relaxation are the two major reasons that made me board a plane from Saint Paul De Vence, after a visit to my parents to fly down to Seoul, South Korea. I live in Paris but I wanted to see them one more time before I took my very needed vacation. Being a medical student aspiring to be an oncologist, it took a toll on my body and mind so coming down to Seoul was going to help me wind down and the plus of getting accustomed to my father's culture even if it's just for six weeks.

It's my summer vacation.

I have been exploring the center of Seoul for a week now and it has been so fun, the culture shock, the food, the music, the fashion and so much more that intrigued me. Today is Sunday, the beginning of another week so I decided to visit the beach instead. I have been looking forward to it.

Taking a final look into the standing mirroring in the living room of the short-let apartment I rented, I was looking really good in my peach coloured beach dress with white and blue petal designs on it and it's above the knee length. I was wearing a cream coloured sandal that has an elastic hold around my ankle making it easy to wear and put off. My black curly hair was down to my shoulders, framing my face that had no makeup, revealing my freckles. I only applied lip gloss and skin oil, my hair hid my earrings but I was wearing small blue hoops matching with the petals on my dress.

I tightened my hold around the cream bag that had my water bottle, chopped watermelon in a food flask which will retain its coolness, my phone and wallet. Deeming myself ready to go and the alert that just sounded on my phone, notifying me of my Uber arrival, I made my way outside. Ready to have a fun time at the beach.

Seoul is very beautiful.

In no time, I alighted from my ride and tried not to skip my way into the beach area. Underneath my dress, I was wearing my two piece bikini set which was in a simple black colour. I couldn't wait to take a swim, enjoy the Seoul sunlight as it tans my already dark tan caramel skin and literally just enjoy my time here.

It's becoming the best summer of my life.

I had purposely searched for beaches that wasn't too crowded because if there's one thing I've learnt so far about being a foreigner in this country, it's the unfazed staring and whispering. It's mostly compliments they whisper which makes me feel good but awkward being the center of attention. And they usually don't know I fully understand and speak Korean. So I didn't need that kind of attention when I just wanted to have a nice time at the beach.

The cool sea breeze welcomed me as I walked further into the beach area, seeing few people laying on the sand and running around the beach, I continued to walk down the beach looking for a more a secluded area. I arrived at a small gate that says No Trespassers. But I didn't see anyone to stop me from going in so I walked inside, seeing it's a continuation of the beach area but very quiet and there were few beach huts in my view. I wondered why it's separated but I didn't get to wonder for long before my sensible inner self started to question what the heck I was doing, trespassing in a foreign country.

As I was about to back out of the gate, I heard a splash into the water, Oh someone's here, I thought. My phone began to ring which made me halt in my tracks to see who was calling me, not like there were many people who do. But my eyes flickered back into the ocean as I was digging into my bag for my phone, I couldn't see any movement for few seconds and I saw a hand wave then disappearing back into the water.

A wave of fear flash through me.

It's not what I'm thinking right?

But it was exactly what I was thinking, the person was drowning as that hand wave, then disappearing into water motion continued, I dropped my bag at my feet instantly, my ringing phone no longer sounding in my ear except a chant of save which I followed, quickly removing my dress and sandals. My feet picked up in a race towards the direction of the drowning person, getting to the shore, I ran into the water immediately swimming towards that person. When I got close to the area the person was, I took a deep inhale, filling my lungs with enough air to help me dive in and swim back up.