Side Story- Colby and Kyle.

Colby watched as Kyle and Kayla hugged, and it took a great deal of strength not to march over and rip the two apart. His chest tightened at the sight, and he decided that he didn’t like seeing her hug another guy very much. When Kayla kissed Kyle’s cheek, Colby’s hands turned into fists, his nails digging deep in his palms. He was pretty sure there would be semi-permanent half moons imprinted on them, and wouldn’t be surprised if he finds blood on his nails after.

It was just a friendly kiss, it was just a friendly kiss, it was just—

The two stood up, and Colby carefully stepped to the side, hiding more of himself behind another tree. Thank heavens for trees. Colby knew he was doing something stalkerish, but he just had to know what the outcome of the talk was between Kyle and Kayla. Right away. He had always been patient, but with a certain blond-haired, grey-eyed beauty, it seemed like his patience meter had gone below zero, especially if it involved another guy.

He knew that he was being a little risky, considering that he had told Kayla he would go home and stay out of this, but he just couldn’t. He tried, oh boy, he did. He had his helmet on and everything, but he just couldn’t make himself get on the damn motorcycle. This girl had got him chained, and she probably had no idea how she made him feel.

She was driving him crazy. Kayla Johnson had turned Colby Mariano’s world pretty much upside down, and yet he had never been this thankful for a person coming into his life and altering his very existence.

What she was doing to him, it was nothing he had experience before. It was beautiful, it was insane, it was electrifying, and it was turning him into some sort of a cheese head.

As Kyle and Kayla walked away, Colby just stood there for a couple of minutes, waiting until he felt it was safe to follow Kyle to the parking lot. He would be in big trouble if Kayla saw him there, and of course he could make up a story about why he was still in school, but he hated lying to her.

He counted to a hundred, which he did a little quickly, and then jogged to the parking lot.

Kayla’s truck was nowhere to be found.

Colby sighed, relief filling his veins as his eyes scanned the space, spotting Kyle walking over his own car. Jamming his hands inside the pockets of his jacket, he walked briskly over to where Kyle was heading. The basketball star had his car door opened already, and Colby gritted his teeth, breaking to a jog. Why did Kyle have to park at the freaking far side of the lot?

Kyle already slipped inside his vehicle, so Colby had no choice but to call his name out.

“Pennington!”

Kyle looked up, and raised his eyebrows when he saw Colby nearing his car. His forehead then wrinkled, and he opened his car door, stepping outside just as the green-eyed boy came to a stop in front of him. Colby’s own forehead was scrunched, little lines appearing on them, and his breathing was slightly heavy. There was tension in the air, so thick, and Colby felt he was breathing it all in. All nerves in his body seemed to have overloaded, and a muscle in his jaw ticked.

“Mariano,” Kyle acknowledged him, a wary look to his face. “Can I help you with something?”

From the look on Colby’s face, Kyle knew what this guy wanted from him. He leaned against his car and crossed his arms over his chest. Yes, he was nice, but he wasn’t that nice.

Colby didn’t really know exactly what to say. He couldn’t demand that Kyle tell him everything, since they weren’t exactly the closest of buddies, but the feeling in his chest was too much to handle and words were spilling out of his mouth before his head could even process what was happening.

“You talked to Kayla, what was it all about?”

“I don’t think it’s my place to tell,” Kyle answered as calmly as possible. Sure, he was going to be fine with this, breaking it off with Kayla, but he wasn’t going to be all fine and dandy after five freaking seconds of doing so. Sure, he was calm and collected because he didn’t want to lose Kayla, not when she was such a good person and Kyle needed good persons in his life. He liked Kayla, very much, but he knew that she was not sure about her feelings, and he knew that she had probably said yes to him because of what she saw that day in the school hallway. Yes, Kyle knew, and yet he still took the chance. He knew of the risks. He also relaized that he showed her some unflattering sides to him, but being the great person that Kayla was, she was still willing to be friends. Kyle would take that.

Colby’s eyes darkened considerably, and he pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to calm his racing heart down. Kyle did have a point. Colby knew that Kayla would eventually tell him about her talking to Kyle, but like what he said before, his patience meter was dwindling down. His hands form fists inside the pockets of his jackets once again.

He was never violent, but he felt like punching something. Colby closed his eyes, and breathed deeply, and inside his mind he saw Kayla’s beautiful smile, and the need to slam his fist against Kyle’s nose faded almost instantly, and then the wild beating of his heart was due to something else entirely.

Kyle watched as emotions flitted through Colby’s face. Even with his eyes closed, Kyle could tell that Colby was thinking of Kayla, judging from the slight smile on his face. He sighed, and his shoulders slumped. He ran a hand through his hair, and cursed under his breath. Fuck it, he was too nice.

“We decided to call it off.”

Colby’s eyes snapped open, and the orbs were now their usual bright green. He seemed breathless.

“What?”

Kyle raised an eyebrow. “We called it off, me and Kayla. We’re just going to stay as friends.”

There was still a slight pang in saying that, but Kyle knew this was one decision he wasn’t going to regret.

Colby let out a long, ragged breath. Somewhat he knew that they were going to break it off, but hearing Kyle said it made it more real. It filled his chest with warmth, and he didn’t know if it was a good thing since he was sort of celebrating on the inside because of their break-up, but he didn’t care very much.

We’re just going to stay as friends.

Kyle seemed like a nice guy, yes, but Colby’s feelings for Kayla were far too deep and he knew that there was another girl out there for Kyle.

Not Kayla.

Never Kayla.

Because Kayla was meant to be with him.

Colby straightened his shoulders and looked Kyle in the eyes, and said, “Thank you.”

Kyle just nodded, and with that Colby pivoted on his heel and began to walk away. He had parked his motorcycle in a spot where Kayla wouldn’t see it, and at the thought of her he began to feel so light it seemed like he was going to float.

“Colby.”

He stopped on his tracks, and turned his head slightly to the side, so his profile was facing Kyle.

“You really like her, don’t you?”

Colby smiled, faced Kyle fully and shrugged.

“Yeah, and I love her, too.”

He had fallen in love with his best friend.

He was a walking cliché.

There was a little quirk at the corner of Kyle’s lips, and he nodded his head once. Colby nodded back, and proceeded again on his way. Those little nods meant that Kyle was going to really let go, and Colby was going to go after the girl of his dreams, the girl that drove him crazy, the girl that he loved.

As Colby reached his motorcycle, he chuckled.

I really am turning into a cheese head.

And he didn’t mind at all.

_______________________________________________________________________

Just a little something. :) Hope you guys enjoyed reading that!