Chapter 9

As we got ready for the next day, we were interrupted by a heavy pounding on our door. With a curious look, Annalyse opened the door--then stepped back, shoulders straight. "Commander! What do we owe the surprise?"

The Commander welcomed herself in, getting comfortable on the couch. Her hair wasn't pulled back into a tight braid today and was allowed to cascade down her back, almost to her waist. She peered around the room, as if every piece of furniture was foreign to her. It made me wonder how often she visited her daughter, if at all.

When she reached for her breast pocket in her dragon scale jacket, the reason for her visit became clear: she pulled out a slender envelope.

My stomach roiled. Guess having an intimidating woman holding a secret envelope will do that to a person.

I sat next to Annalyse, who was suddenly tense now that her mother was here. I didn't blame her. I could feel the power coming from the woman sitting across from us. From those sharp eyebrows to her pointed boots, she demanded respect--and possibly fear.

"What can we do for you, Commander?" The silence was freaking me out. She made me feel like I'd done something very wrong, even though I was a hundred percent sure I hadn't done anything to piss her off. I hadn't been here long enough to do anything stupid.

Her brown eyes moved to Annalyse then to me. She tossed the envelope onto the table; it slid across the polished surface, landing perfectly in front of me. "You've been invited to dinner."

Dinner? Who would invite me to dinner? I didn't know anyone fancy enough to send me an invitation.

Curious, I opened the envelope.

Eva Greene,

It is our pleasure to invite you to Kain Castle this weekend for dinner with our family. Your circumstances have not gone unnoticed. We are looking forward to meeting with you.

Pleasant regards,

King Renkon Kain

I stared at the letter, dumbfounded. "This is a joke, right?"

The Commander shook her head. "King Renkon wants to meet you. He's been waiting for a storm dragon to show themselves as long as King Sylus has been. He's not going to let you slip through his fingers."

Annalyse squealed in excitement. "We're going to a royal dinner! Right? I can go too? I'll be a protection detail if I have to. Please, Mom? I haven't been to the castle in so long." 

She nodded thoughtfully. "Yes. You and Smith will be back up while the Greenes attend the dinner."

Annalyse whooped in her excitement. "Yes! Thank you!"

Hargin glared at her daughter, sobering her up instantly. "I did not give you this task out of favouritism. You three are the best candidates for this mission. And you," she looked at me like she was expecting me to say anything out of turn--joke's on her, I'm not that stupid-- "don't fuck it up. I have a feeling you will be making many trips to the castle, so you make sure the royal family likes it when you visit."

With that, she stood up. "I'll send you the details for this weekend later tonight. I'll leave the rest of the day up to you, Annalyse."

As soon as the door closed behind her, Annalyse jumped in joy. "Yes! I love diplomatic missions. Mom always buys me the most gorgeous gowns whenever we go. . . though, I suppose I'll be wearing a uniform, but you'll surely be wearing one! Oh, we'll have some great fun, Eva!"

An image of my hair curled up like a poodle's and pinned above my head with a massive poofy dress hiding my body flashed before my eyes. It looked horrendous. "I don't have to go, do I?"